Finding Photographer/Mentor To Work With

dhphotos813

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm hoping to start taking some photography classes a little later this year but would also like to find a photographer/mentor to work with before/during/after those classes to help me learn the ropes and gain some field experience while hopefully building my portfolio. I don't know anyone who is in the photography business to work with so my question is how would you recommend one finding a photographer/mentor to work with and learn from in my area? I live in the Tampa, FL area if that helps with any recommendations.

If you were in my area I would help you. My best advice would be just to look up photographers in your area and ask to do some second or third shooting for them or check on craigslist as well. Sometimes if you want another photographer to teach you some basics etc. you should ask a photographer who is not in the same genre of work that you would like to do. Around here I had trouble with wanting to learn wedding photography and a few photographers told me basically they don't want to teach the competition. It sucked but I understood. Anyways I'm getting off track but that is a good start.

Thanks, I will probably end up trying something like that.

Try a local camera club- they're usually a wealth of great information and many have very knowledgeable members who enjoy helping others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back