"My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit"

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd just like to call attention to something...

This "My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit" is very limiting. My ability to offer critique to someone who has this flag is severely hindered, because I lack the ability to simply show you what I'm talking about.

I understand that some of us are very capable, and we know very well what we're trying to achieve. I also understand having people hack up your image and show you something that is NOT what you are looking for can be distasteful at times... however... a picture is worth a thousand words. If you're looking for feedback from folks on the forum, then you are doing yourself a disservice by having this flag set.

I'm gonna agree with the second part to your third point.

Well, you can always ask.I have it there because I don't want people, anyone taking liberty. If I had some question and was asked I'd certainly permit it if the editor was wanting to display something I wanted tosee...does that make sense?

I'm having a hard time determining what my third point was. lol

I'm having a hard time determining what my third point was. lol

In my inebriated mind,
I'd just like to call attention to something...

1)This "My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit" is very limiting. My ability to offer critique to someone who has this flag is severely hindered, because I lack the ability to simply show you what I'm talking about.
2)I understand that some of us are very capable, and we know very well what we're trying to achieve.
3)I also understand having people hack up your image and show you something that is NOT what you are looking for can be distasteful at times
Fluff)... however... a picture is worth a thousand words. If you're looking for feedback from folks on the forum, then you are doing yourself a disservice by having this flag set.

:biglaugh:

often you are lucky to get a detailed critique never mind someone editing your photo. And the detailed critique might be worth more. The times I have my photos edited they asked first, and I obliged. As it is for learning and helpful.

The idea of people randomly messing with my photos without offering a detailed critique I think I would find more a headache and disturbing than anything. As I generally prefer not to have my work messed with whether it is good or bad. There is no harm in asking, and most people would ask if they really cared enough. How long does it take to ask, two seconds? Lot shorter time than the edit or a good critique.
I would actually be more concerned over the opposite problem, the sites security and people copying photos off it.

I appreciate when people take the time to edit my photo to explain their critique. The whole point of asking for a critique is to learn something. The edited photo can explain their critique better and more easily in many occasions. "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I let a guy in my photo class edit one of my photo's the other day..... Good lord, I felt like he ruined it! Glad I'm in good company though when I visit and post on TPF. Luckily I feel like I can trust the people here for a real critique or edit!

I haven't taken that option and the reason is, its fine, but its also nice to be asked first. What I don't want and maybe a few others, is to have an image downloaded, worked on and put on someone else's site so they can link it back. The image is then on their site. I actually find that odd to be honest.

Its strange when someone asks about an image and for help, but they also have that "my photos are not okay to edit". that makes it kind of tough. I would generally ask first.

Danny.

often you are lucky to get a detailed critique never mind someone editing your photo. And the detailed critique might be worth more. The times I have my photos edited they asked first, and I obliged. As it is for learning and helpful.

The idea of people randomly messing with my photos without offering a detailed critique I think I would find more a headache and disturbing than anything. As I generally prefer not to have my work messed with whether it is good or bad. There is no harm in asking, and most people would ask if they really cared enough. How long does it take to ask, two seconds? Lot shorter time than the edit or a good critique.
I would actually be more concerned over the opposite problem, the sites security and people copying photos off it.

No offense, bribrius, but you are like the poster boy for the problem side of this argument. Your images generally need a lot of love, and having that flag dissuades people from helping you.

I, for one, will often just skip past a thread with this flag set because it ties my hands in my critique and makes it too difficult. I have to write three paragraphs to explain something that I can show with an edited picture and 5-10 words.

Standard rule... if you're asking for someone's help... and someone's time... you want to make it as easy on them as possible. You get the most out of their valuable effort, and you make it easy for them to help you again and again if necessary.

To be honest, many times the edits in support of the critique are downright horrid. If the member has "NOT ok to edit" then perhaps this a good chance for the person giving critique to enhance their writing style. (<---last comment not directed at OP but in general)

How long does it take to ask? That really depends on whether the OP is online at the time, doesn't it? If I'm asking, it means I'm online and have the time right then to do it. If I have to wait for an answer until whenever the OP is back on and sees the post, well by then, I may not have the time to work on it.

Trever, I personally think people like you are what the "do not edit" option is for. You are already a highly skilled photographer, and you know the look you are going for. Your processing is always, or at least nearly always, very intentional--whether it speaks to someone else's particular likes or not, it's clear that you processed it the way you did quite consciously.

I think what Manny is speaking to is those who are beginners/amateurs who do NOT already have a strong grasp on either their photography skills or their processing skills. They'll often even ask something like "what is wrong with this picture," and yet they set this option to "do not edit" due to some fear, I think, that setting it to "OK to edit" will result in people doing stupid silly things with their photos.

It's been my experience that there are very, very, VERY few instances on TPF where someone has edited another person's photo just to be silly--unless the OP specifically invited such response ("caption this photo," and that sort of thing invites silliness).
I've had people edit my photos in a way that wasn't the look I was going for, but I've NEVER had anyone edit one of my photos in a disrespectful or objectionable way.

Most reactions

Back