First DSLR ?

James__Anderson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I'm looking for my first DSLR and have found few I would like to know what's better to get a Nikon d1300, Nikon d5000 or Canon 1100d ?

Regards.James.

Neither, save just a little bit more and go for the Nikon D5100, wouldn't get anything bellow that and it shouldn't be much more expensive then the other ones on your list.

personally if you want nikon the D5200 or the D5300 are very good choices for a basic camera, I would not get anything less than one of those. the D7100 is even better, it will have similar image quality but it has some great features that the others do not which could make life as a photographer a little easier, I think some of those extra features would come in quite useful to me now. At the time I was looking to purchase my camera I did not realize the D7100 had some of the features that it does or that I would need them, I wish I wold have bought that but Do I really need those extra features, No but they sure would be nice..

I will say I am very happy with my D5300 overall and I plan to keep it for a long time. if you go for a lower end model than the D5200 you will probably regret it at some point and than you may want to upgrade to something better and that will cost you even more money in the long run. if you are serious about photography and you want a nice nikon camera the D5200, D5300 or D7100 are the three too chose from IMO, unless you can spend allot of money and get a D750 or D810 but those are very expensive compared to the other models.

personally if you want nikon the D5200 or the D5300 are very good choices for a basic camera, I would not get anything less than one of those. the D7100 is even better, it will have similar image quality but it has some great features that the others do not which could make life as a photographer a little easier, I think some of those extra features would come in quite useful to me now. At the time I was looking to purchase my camera I did not realize the D7100 had some of the features that it does or that I would need them, I wish I wold have bought that but Do I really need those extra features, No but they sure would be nice..

I will say I am very happy with my D5300 overall and I plan to keep it for a long time. if you go for a lower end model than the D5200 you will probably regret it at some point and than you may want to upgrade to something better and that will cost you even more money in the long run. if you are serious about photography and you want a nice nikon camera the D5200, D5300 or D7100 are the three too chose from IMO, unless you can spend allot of money and get a D750 or D810 but those are very expensive compared to the other models.

I tend to agree with what you say but if OP simply cant affod the cameras you suggested I think the D5100 is a very good viable camera to consider.
It has very close low light performance and close DR to the D5200/D5300 with less resolution and less advanced AF system but if money is short its still a great starters camera, used it must be easy to find for very resonale prices.
But as I said I agree, if you can afford it then the D5200/D5300 will be better and the D7100 obviously will be the best option for crop sensor camera made by Nikon.

Greetings, James_Anderson. I have a D5000, and I like it a lot. Are you purchasing a used camera? Presumably it will come with a lens. What is your budget for this purchase?

Last edited:
Greetings, James_Anderson. I have a D5000, and I like it a lot. Are you purchasing a used camera? Presumably it come with a lens. What is your budget for this purchase?

About 200-300, I've never used a DSLR and am just wanting to get something I can learn with and then if I like it spend a bit of money and get something like a 810.

Out of these 3 I would go for D5000. It is a fine camera.
But goodguy is right: if you can stretch your budget a little bit or save a bit more, it is well worth going for a D5100, it has a very good sensor, and image quality is wonderful. A used D5100 in excellent condition with (very good) 18-55 VR kit lense would be a good buy. Your budget is very close. You will have everything you need as your first DSLR. I still have one and do not want to sell it simply because it's price on a used market is ridiculously low for such a good camera.
If you do not feel like spending any more, then D5000 is also a good choice.

Greetings, James_Anderson. I have a D5000, and I like it a lot. Are you purchasing a used camera? Presumably it come with a lens. What is your budget for this purchase?

About 200-300, I've never used a DSLR and am just wanting to get something I can learn with and then if I like it spend a bit of money and get something like a 810.
O.K., I have to say I admire your ambition!

saw a Nikon 3100 in a big box store the other day for two hundred dollars including two kit lenses. Think it was a open box return. I almost bought it. I wouldn't be afraid too ask them what they have out back or on the "outdated" shelf and look for a deal.

O.K., I have to say I admire your ambition!

I would get a decent camera but I'm still in school and haven't really got my own money, I would get one for Xmas but I've already got a fairly expensive drum kit so can't really ask for another 800-1000, so am just using some money I've got laying around to see if I enjoy photography.

thinking of what I posted above. I still might buy it. Maybe I will talk to the sales manager and see if they can knock off another fifty dollars my daughter or wife, (even me) someone will use it never hurts to have another camera around..
If you think along these lines James (or in the used market) you could get a okay learning camera for within your price range including carrying bag, memory cards and about everything you need to get you started probably even a cheap tripod and cleaning kit..
Wont be top notch but good for learning and you will still have plenty of sentimental images of friends/family which are worth way more than what you will have invested. And just give the camera to a niece or nephew or something if you decide to move up. Little invested no worries. two cents.

My first nikon was a D60, I really had a good time with that camera and it did take nice photos. I really liked it for a while when I first got it and it worked well for a first DSLR. I have seen those used on craigslist list for around 100-200 bucks but those are pretty old.

If you can get one of those cameras you mentioned with a lens for 200-300 bucks some place than go for it. they will be goo for learning how to use a DSLR and any of those should take nice photos.

Hi I'm looking for my first DSLR and have found few I would like to know what's better to get a Nikon d1300, Nikon d5000 or Canon 1100d ?

Regards.James.

Dear James,

Buy what you can afford and fiddle around with it a bit before you take the big plunge.

People on the internet are quite free with your money, but I'm an old school cheapskate. Things that many people want to throw away today are still fully functional and worth using until they literally puke.

You'll learn some things in your journey and will be better equipped to chose a brand and ride until you die if you do it my way.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Most reactions

Back