I want a Bridge camera, which one should I buy?

jtmiv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear Board,

I asked this question a couple of months back and appreciated the answers but now I'd like to ask it again to see if the answers have changed?

I want a bridge camera, it needs to shoot RAW and that is pretty much my only requirement. I want one because it will always be in my car with me, I don't care to always lug the DSLR gear with me. I am torn between long lenses, bright lenses, build quality, manufacturer's reputation, in short all the usual stuff.

I am considering in no particular order, the Fuji Finepix S1, the Olympus Stylus 1, and the Panasonic FZ200. If you have owned and used one of these cameras I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

FUJI all the way for me. I have owned several and all have surpassed my expectation. S1 is my next buy.

The way I see it you have 2 options only

1.Sony RX10
2.Panasonic FZ1000

These cameras use a bigger sensor and offer fast glass so their low light performance is resonable (nothing more then resonable though), any other bridge camera that I am aware of uses smaller sensors and their low light performance is even worst.
A good friend of mine asked me about bridge camera few months ago and after some research I have recommended the Panasonic FZ1000 for him.
Initially the Sony RZ10 was my first choise because the sensor performance is about same as the Panasnic but it uses a much faster glass but at the end of the day I changed my ind to the FZ1000, its lens is slower but still considerably fast and offers double the focal range.

To make this decision I suggest STRONGLY that one hold both in their hands, AND if you can palm a basketball, then go with the Panasonic/Lumix FZ1000. The Sony RX10 is just too small and I find the placement of the controls to be anything but ergonomic.

Most reactions

Back