First mirrorless camera

Jonahnieuwe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title suggests, I'm looking for my first mirrorless camera to buy and I hope you are willing and able to help me with my choice. First of all I will give u some information about me and my budget and what kind of photos I want to take.

I'm "only" 16 years old and earned my money by walking the morning papers, my budget is €2000 so $2180. I'm telling you this so you know that I really worked long for this and I'm not going to spend it without some serious consideration, that's why I am making this forum post right now.

I do have some experience with cameras I shot many pictures with a small point and shoot, an all in one camera and the last few years with my phone. I'm really interested in photography and willing to learn about the exposure triangle and the rule of thirds etc.

Our family loves adventures and active vacations, like walking in the mountains in Italy, canoeing in Sweden, Skiing in Austria and going on city trips like: Paris, Barcelona, Stockholm, Prague etc. So I would like a sturdy camera, with exchangeable lenses and maybe water-resistant because I live in the Netherlands and rain is never far away. I was looking into mirror less cameras because of the compact size wich can be useful when going on a city trip.

I made a list of thinks I (think) I need/want in a camera:

1. Portability, the best camera is the one you have with you. I believe that having a portable camera is one of the nicest thinks when going on city trips, hikes, snowboarding etc.
2. Ruggedness, when walking in the mountains, climbing, setting down a camera on a rock or fallen tree, snowboarding and exploring the rainy Netherlands and Scandinavia ruggedness could ensure a longer lifespan.
3. Decent video, I am not planning on doing real movie productions but having the option of shooting some descent looking video can come in handy sometimes.
4. Good lens selection, a relatively cheap, large and good (secondhand) lens selection could help keep down the cost in the long run. Although this is one of the not so important points.
5. Image stabilization, I "suffer" from pretty shaky hand and image stabilization in body or lens or both would ensure better images and video.
6. Budget, body and one lens for a max of €1500,-

So if I hold my list next to existing cameras I end up with:
1. Panasonic gx8 + 12-60mm €1068
2.Olympus om-d em-1 + 12-40mm Pro €1200
3. Fujifilm x-t1 + 18-55mm €1200
4. Olympus om-d em-5 m2 12-50 ez €1000 or 12-40 Pro €1500
5. Panasonic g85/g80 + 12-60mm €899

I hope you have all you need to help me with this (for me) though choice, wich has kept me busy for over two months now, between these cameras or maybe another better option although more choice might not make it easier ;-).
I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic! If you have more questions feel free to ask me.

Greetings

This seemed familiar to me... Buying my first real camera

To help us answer your question, any reason why you chose not to go with any of the Nikons you mentioned?

In other words, what changed your mind to go with mirrorless?

Thank you for the reply, the Fujifilm 18-55 is a high Quality lens but als you set its ver expensive, I think I will go for a Nikon d7100, d5500-5600 or d7200

I'd look at the Fujifilm XT20 body, new. Buy the 18-55mm or 18-135 used. You'll be under a grand. If your into landscape, pick up a used 10-24mm. Both have excellent image stabilization, micro contrast, and sharpness.

I can only comment on the Olympus cameras. Unless you are going to do a lot of action shots I would go with the EM5 MKII over the The EM1 ( I am assuming you mean the MK I). More features. Go with the 12-40 Pro if you can. You may also want to consider the 12-100 IS Pro instead if you can fit into your budget. It is an fantastic travel lens that has great range. Also the synced IS between camera and lens gives the best stabilization out there. The EM5 MKII, 12-40 and 12-100 are all weather sealed and durable.

To help us answer your question, any reason why you chose not to go with any of the Nikons you mentioned?

Thank you for the reply, the Fujifilm 18-55 is a high Quality lens but als you set its ver expensive, I think I will go for a Nikon d7100, d5500-5600 or d7200

Haha you remember, I tried reviving my old post but didn't get any new replies so being unable to remove it it's still there... I decided to go mirrorless after using a canon 80d for a day (and really liking it) but I think it's just to big and heavy to take everywhere especially when going backpacking. Secondly I'm not sure what kind of photographs I will take the most in the future but I am considering a Tele lens in the future, and bringing a dslr + normal zoom + Tele is for my hobby use maybe a little too much to carry around.

I'd look at the Fujifilm XT20 body, new. Buy the 18-55mm or 18-135 used. You'll be under a grand. If your into landscape, pick up a used 10-24mm. Both have excellent image stabilization, micro contrast, and sharpness.
Thanks for the reply, although not weather sealed the x-t20 is a really cool camera, my dream camera is a Olympus em-1.2 or Fuji x-t2/x-Pro sadly these are just not in budget and also not necessary, the cameras I'm looking at now seem to hit the balance between price and use for me

I can only comment on the Olympus cameras. Unless you are going to do a lot of action shots I would go with the EM5 MKII over the The EM1 ( I am assuming you mean the MK I). More features. Go with the 12-40 Pro if you can. You may also want to consider the 12-100 IS Pro instead if you can fit into your budget. It is an fantastic travel lens that has great range. Also the synced IS between camera and lens gives the best stabilization out there. The EM5 MKII, 12-40 and 12-100 are all weather sealed and durable.

The em1 and em5.2 have the same sensor, right? I can get an as new em1 body for €499 so that's considerably cheaper than the em5.2? Is it worth the price difference?

Thanks for the reply, although not weather sealed the x-t20 is a really cool camera, my dream camera is a Olympus em-1.2 or Fuji x-t2/x-Pro sadly these are just not in budget and also not necessary, the cameras I'm looking at now seem to hit the balance between price and use for me

Weather sealed is BS. Any camera in the rain is trouble. The 18-55 lens is not weather sealed. It's a gimic, incidental is as far as I would go with my XT2 or XP2. You really want a sealed camera, buy one of those Fujifilm XP120.

The em1 and em5.2 have the same sensor, right? I can get an as new em1 body for €499 so that's considerably cheaper than the em5.2? Is it worth the price difference?

Take a look at the features between the two to decide. It does have the same 16MP sensor. A feature that maybe desired that is on the em5.2 and not the em1.1 is hi-res, 40MP image. Great for landscapes, you get amazing detail. Also I believe the em1 does not have a fully articulated screen as the EM5 does.

Have the features side-by-side to see if any og them are requirements for you.

Weather sealed is BS. Any camera in the rain is trouble. The 18-55 lens is not weather sealed. It's a gimic, incidental is as far as I would go with my XT2 or XP2. You really want a sealed camera, buy one of those Fujifilm XP120.

Sorry no gimic with the Olympus. I have used mine in heavy rain. Got it completely soaked many times for extended times. There is plenty of proof out there on how good the weather seal on the Olympus gear is.

Sorry no gimic with the Olympus. I have used mine in heavy rain. Got it completely soaked many times for extended times. There is plenty of proof out there on how good the weather seal on the Olympus gear is.
Ok. Better you than me.

I have read this too in many posts, and a tough magnesiumaloid body never hurts does it?

Any thoughts on the dmc g85 or gx8?

Haha you remember, I tried reviving my old post but didn't get any new replies so being unable to remove it it's still there... I decided to go mirrorless after using a canon 80d for a day (and really liking it) but I think it's just to big and heavy to take everywhere especially when going backpacking. Secondly I'm not sure what kind of photographs I will take the most in the future but I am considering a Tele lens in the future, and bringing a dslr + normal zoom + Tele is for my hobby use maybe a little too much to carry around.

For backpacking, bicycling, hiking, etc. I use mirrorless and 'pancake' style lens - small, light
(but with the occasional use of the big DSLR telephoto lens)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'm not planning on taking a swim or standing under a waterfall, just having more peace of mind in soft rainfall.

I have read this too in many posts, and a tough magnesiumaloid body never hurts does it?

Any thoughts on the dmc g85 or gx8?

Not a lot. I think its a matter of holding each in your hand if you can and see which you prefer. What I know for sure is you will get better stabilzation with Olympus and better video with Panny. I then comes down to features and camera ergonomics. But remember they are all m43 so if you decide in the future to change you body from Oly to Panny or vice-versa the lenses will work on both. Between Oly, Panny, Sigma and others you have tons of lenses to choose from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back