First Model Photo Shoot - CC Welcome

QUESTION:
Should I start charging people a small fee? Since this shoot I've had several people want me to photograph them?

FWIW I've been thinking about semi-pro as well. The advice I've heard, is NOT to undercut, but to charge whatever the rate is in your market. That way it doesn't drag the market down, and then you avoid the situation of having to "come up" to the market rate, and having to justify a price increase.

Myself, I'm waiting to build my skills and equipment up a little bit, maybe get some friends to model for me, get all my dumb mistakes out of the way first :)

QUESTION:

Should I start charging people a small fee? Since this shoot I've had several people want me to photograph them?

Oh, sure, why not? Even though your skill is not yet up to the professional level, if people want to pay you then go for it.

I was thinking a $25 fee, then if they want printed pictures charge them, depending on size, for those instead of the $25 fee?

Good grief, not 25 bucks! lol If you really want to do this, do your 'homework' first so you can be successful.

These three look like you're getting the subject posed nicely and getting the photos framed and composed but the technical part seems to be what you could still work on. The first one is so dark, I think you need to get consistently good quality with your portraits.

I'd suggest you take time to figure out your pricing, see what other portrait photographers in your area charge etc. so you can price within range, not underpriced. But your portraits need to be the quality that you can compete with other photographers and provide good quality portraits that people are wiling to pay the going rate for. I think people tend to 'like' just about anything and everything, and sure they'll take photos for free or next to nothing, but will they book sessions and pay?

It might be worth spending some more time developing your skills and meanwhile look into everything that will go into doing portraits - deposits, contracts, releases, insurance, etc. What will you do if they drag their feet paying? (if you give them photos I don't know that there's any getting them back if they never pay the full amount they owe). How will you handle it if they keep wanting to cancel/reschedule? (get that covered in the contract...) What will you do if they don't like the photos? (you don't need one pissed off person trashing you all over the place before you even get this off the ground).

Try ASMP or PPA for info. for professional photographers, sample forms, etc. American Society of Media Photographers You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm if you can direct that into developing your skills further and in getting yourself set up in business in a way that you can enjoy it and be successful.

I think your vision, pose, and frame are good, just work on the technicals.

Just for grins & giggles I made a few adjustments to this one:

14940240643_ea2b6963a7-1 - Version 2.jpg

It certainly could be better, but I am not the most expert at editing, and had only the small JPG file

Yeah that one seems a lot darker than on LR, thats another thing to figure out lol. Thanks Sharon for all your helpful information, I will definitely look in that. Though I was never "into" portraits I think I may have to start there and work my way to where I want to be.

Thanks again everyone!

There will be more photos coming soon :)

I didn't have anything to do tonight so I got frisky. :) This is pretty crappy since it loses a lot turning it into a gif but maybe you'll get the idea. I don't know if you processed the first image or not but the colors seemed off.

1. Removed color cast.
2. Adjusted depth a little with curves adjustment.
3. Threw in a hue/saturation adjustment to boost the blues and reds.

DET_1512_zpsfdzqelg3.gif

Last edited:
The first image of the thread was processed, I "toned down" the colors to make it between black and white and full color. At the time I liked the edit, but as you can see I stopped with that edit through the thread...

OKAY, I just purchased a 5 in 1 pack of reflectors (translucent, silver, gold, white, and black). I didn't purchase a stand I'll use my sister as a stand for now :)

Silly question... How to use the reflector properly? And when to use each color?

Photos in #38 are a LOT better than the earlier ones. Much more natural, better focus. Not crazy about the arm raised poses but the first and last photos in that post are good. Especially like the last one (leaning against the tree). I think you might still benefit from a wider aperture to blur out the background.

Thank you!! Yeah the arm raised was a stretch but I don't mind it. As for the aperture how do I manually change that and keep it that way without auto changing? I've googled it and am not sure if I did it properly.

Set your camera to aperture priority or manual. If you choose the former the aperture will stay fixed and the shutter speed will change to maintain a "proper" exposure. If you choose the latter you'll have to make both choices.

Most reactions

Back