First time poster - Beginning looking for first camera help!?

AndrewPaulJones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided I want to buy my first camera in the next month or so. I have taken photography classes before but I have never owned my own camera. I want a cheap ($600 ballpark) digital SLR. Now I have done a bit of research and came across a particular camera that caught my eye, but i want to see what you guys recommend to me first.

What I am looking for out of my camera:
- Something small and portable I would be able to take to bars and general use pictures with friends.
- Family events.
- I go to many sporting events, mostly college football and baseball. Something with great zoom would be a great feature.
- Scenery pictures are not exactly an interest to me.
- I love pictures with a wide aperture.

Anything else I should really take into consideration? What do you guys think would be a good choice for me???

This is without a doubt one of the most common questions in this forum, and one for which no one but you can really provide an answer. There are literally hundreds of cameras in your price range from high-end P&S style to entry level DSLR. Your best bet is going to be to go to a couple of different camera stores, and look at the cameras, have a salesperson explain the different features, and to pick them up. I could recommend the Nikon D40x; you might pick it up and find that the control placement doesn't work for you.

Skip the advanced point and shoots and go for an entry level DSLR. I totally regret not getting one now.... I'll be remedying that as soon as I've got the money though. :) Which one(s) are you considering?

D60 and olympus e420. Very similiar they appear. Reason I am leaning quite heavily towards the olympus is because of the size and the pancaking lens. Because in all reality I do think the nikon may have the slight edge, but I really dont think it is going to be anything at all that is going to affect my level of shooting.

I'd say get either a canon or a nikon, there's a much larger market for second hand lenses if you're running short on cash for lenses.

Nikon rah rah rah Nikon rah rah rah...

D60 is a decent cam for the money.
Nothing wrong with the Canon line, I just personally don't like them as much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back