Fishing Boat C&C

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot it from another boat with a Nikon 80-200 at f/4 and at 200mm.

20090813-_DSC1427.jpg

Too centered. And I would have used a smaller aperture like f8. Give you a better depth of field. But its a great looking picture other than that

Too centered. And I would have used a smaller aperture like f8. Give you a better depth of field. But its a great looking picture other than that

Thanks,
May I ask what the need for a larger DOF would be?

Whenever I take pictures like this, with a larger depth of field things look more detailed. You end up having to keep the shutter open longer, which in turn always makes for more detailed, more 3d looking images. They look less flat.

Whenever I take pictures like this, with a larger depth of field things look more detailed. You end up having to keep the shutter open longer, which in turn always makes for more detailed, more 3d looking images. They look less flat.

I needed a faster shutter speed because I was using my step dad's 80-200 which does not have VR and I was also on a boat which was moving around a lot. When I get my 70-200 or I am on solid ground, I will keep that in mind.

I like it. Try it in black and white, clone stamp out the name of the boat in the front, and i think it would be a really nice vintage kind of shot.

Moving subject + longer shutter= blur

The focus of the image looks a little soft to me. I also agree that it's too centered, I would have put more open space in front of the boat.

The focus of the image looks a little soft to me. I also agree that it's too centered, I would have put more open space in front of the boat.
Pretty much what I was thinking. But I like the image...that boat has a lot of character.

I know all of the rules like "rule of thirds," "don't center the subject," "leave space in front of the subject," but I thought this composition looked fine. Rules are meant to be broken right?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Didn't get enough the first time around?

Only 5 people commented. I was just looking for a bit more input than that. :thumbup:

TBH, there's not much more to be said that hasn't been said. Focus looks a bit soft and a more left of center crop might look nicer. If I come off as a jerk, I'm not intending to sound that way. I didn't see this shot the first time it was posted, and when I saw it, before looking at the comments, both of those were the first things I thought of.

No offense taken, thanks.

I am just curious... For those of you who point out that the focus is soft on images, what should one do to better the focus if using AF? I have had people tell me the focus is off when I use AF on a tripod on a subject 20 feet away. Is there something that the AF doesn't do right that I am missing, or do some people just need new glasses?

I don't know what else to do to make it sharper if I have a good body, good lens, and use AF. :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back