Flag in Acworth, GA (C&C please)

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was actually a little bit nervous walking up to this house & asking for permission to shoot this. Folks in GA can be a little .... assertive ... to strangers :)

1)
FlagInGa (1 of 1).jpg

2)
FlagInGa (1 of 1)-2.jpg

It seems to be too dark. For instance there is no detail in the cat and the textures and details in the wooden planks of the house are a bit muddy. Perhaps you also need to try and get more detail out of the regalia on the wall around and about the flag: the saws, the sign, the lantern and what not.

Any better? Went with a square crop, and cloned out the saw blade

FlagInGa (1 of 1)-4.jpg

Attachments

• FlagInGa (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    FlagInGa (1 of 1)-3.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 150
I love original n. 2 and I don't want it to be perfect. It has a very strong U.S.A. mood and though I never been to Usa or Georgia...It gives me exactly the mood, the feeling and the smells I think I could find there. N. 2 gives a beautiful story. Someone put the U.S. flag outside his small house and other stuff. There's a cup of water for the dogs/cats and a lonely black cat is the only inhabitant that is welcoming you (and you even have to look for him, 'cause it's not that easy to see him too). I like it as dark as it is. Not always photographs have to be N.Y. Times first page. Sometimes they're beautiful when they're real, just memories of how the places were in our mind (or in my fantasies).
Thank you for the beautiful story. I really hope you'll keep it as it is. A unique photo, able to scream its story out of million of images sameness-ill.

One of the best shots I've seen here lately.

Well thank you benjo ... I did love taking that one ... I think I renember just about every shot I've taken ... Feels good to think about them when it's late and quiet

Talk to you soon

Kerry

View attachment 93928

Really, I also prefer the vertical shot. I think a lot of what Benjo says makes sense, but do wish there was a little more detail visible. I took a look at the histogram for #2 and assume that the contrast, etc., was worked on by yourself in post: it seems quite evened out, a little flat possibly. I wonder what the original graph shows and how much room for manoeuvre there might be.

In the end though, I can only say what I would have done: it's your photo so if you're happy with it, and your comments suggest you are, leave it as it is.

View attachment 93928

Really, I also prefer the vertical shot. I think a lot of what Benjo says makes sense, but do wish there was a little more detail visible. I took a look at the histogram for #2 and assume that the contrast, etc., was worked on by yourself in post: it seems quite evened out, a little flat possibly. I wonder what the original graph shows and how much room for manoeuvre there might be.

In the end though, I can only say what I would have done: it's your photo so if you're happy with it, and your comments suggest you are, leave it as it is.

I know ... I really wanted to see more of that cat, and tinkered around in post until I thought I would go crazy, but never could get it to look any way I liked.

And I appreciate the thought ... I am definitely happy with the image and am content with it where it stands, but I think my happiness tends to be tied to the moment and the memory surrounding the picture ... how cold it was, being a little nervous about knocking on the door, hoping there wouldn't be some sort of angry hillbilly-with-a-shotgun kind of confrontation, being glad I didn't let that get in my way, etc ... but that doesn't come across to the viewer.

I think I post more because I'd like to see if others feel the same way, and if I've missed some sort of technical or compositional detail that I can improve for a viewer that wasn't there. That's very valuable to me.

I love original n. 2 and I don't want it to be perfect. It has a very strong U.S.A. mood and though I never been to Usa or Georgia...It gives me exactly the mood, the feeling and the smells I think I could find there. N. 2 gives a beautiful story. Someone put the U.S. flag outside his small house and other stuff. There's a cup of water for the dogs/cats and a lonely black cat is the only inhabitant that is welcoming you (and you even have to look for him, 'cause it's not that easy to see him too). I like it as dark as it is. Not always photographs have to be N.Y. Times first page. Sometimes they're beautiful when they're real, just memories of how the places were in our mind (or in my fantasies).
Thank you for the beautiful story. I really hope you'll keep it as it is. A unique photo, able to scream its story out of million of images sameness-ill.

One of the best shots I've seen here lately.
+1

#2 is very reflective of a certain element in Americana. The darkness adds a mood which helps in #2 but not in the tighter shot of #1. Well done.

Gary

Most reactions

Back