flaky people:vent

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, sorry for any typos. I'm typing this on my phone while on a treadmill. (Note when I say model, I mean friends willing to let me photograph them)

You may remember my last model showed up less than enthusiastic about being photographed.

Another model wanted to shoot on her lunch break.

Another one wants to do glamor shots while our five total kids under 7 run around unsupervised.

I had a shoot rescheduled for the fourth time and go figure, she just canceled on me.

I'm getting so frustrated! I just want to practice lighting on something other than a teddy bear and myself. I study, make notes, carve out time practice lighting in advance, and even though you tell them over and over, its like people just don't understand what it takes to make a good photograph.

*sigh*
It's almost as if someone HAS to "go pro" and charge a deposit just so people will actually feel invested in the process.

Model Mayhem?
I've been heavily considering this, but I'm leery about inviting strangers to the house (my studio) or going to theirs. I'd have to rent a public space, which is more than I'd like to spend now. *sigh*

If you don't have the luxury of a 'neutral' studio, then do it when you have someone at home with you, or, work out of doors. You can always start with a 'get to know each other' coffee meeting. You can also get a feeling for the models by their portfolio. If they have a few decent shoots there, then chances are, they're serious about what they do. There are a LOT of flakes, but some gems too!

If you don't have the luxury of a 'neutral' studio, then do it when you have someone at home with you, or, work out of doors. You can always start with a 'get to know each other' coffee meeting. You can also get a feeling for the models by their portfolio. If they have a few decent shoots there, then chances are, they're serious about what they do. There are a LOT of flakes, but some gems too!
Thants not a bad idea about a coffee meeting first. I'll have to chew on that for a while. I would definitely do it when someone was home, but I'm more leery of people knowing where I live. Lol! Not that many models would want to drive this far out into the boonies anyways.

Thants not a bad idea about a coffee meeting first. I'll have to chew on that for a while. I would definitely do it when someone was home, but I'm more leery of people knowing where I live. Lol! Not that many models would want to drive this far out into the boonies anyways.
Have you looked into the cost of renting a place by the hour? Around here dance studios go for $20-35 an hour. It does seem like a lot of money when you're doing 2-3 two hour shoots a month, but there's a LOT to be said for a neutral and DISTRACTION FREE location!

Have you looked into the cost of renting a place by the hour? Around here dance studios go for $20-35 an hour. It does seem like a lot of money when you're doing 2-3 two hour shoots a month, but there's a LOT to be said for a neutral and DISTRACTION FREE location!
There is a dance studio the next town over! It might be worth looking into, if I could guarantee the model would show up! Lol

Makes me glad I shoot landscapes.

You beat me to it lol

Of course, we have our own issues. Weather, inability to rearrange the subject, lighting............ and of course, people. You know.... the ones that stand in your way knowing full well you're trying to take a photo.

Damnedtourists.jpg

This clown just about knocked me over to get in front of me.

*sigh*
It's almost as if someone HAS to "go pro" and charge a deposit just so people will actually feel invested in the process.

Might be the way to go. Just be sure to keep it all legal and pay taxes on it.

With a typical home-based startup you won't actually pay taxes for a couple of years anyway, but you have to do the accounting.

*sigh*

Might be the way to go. Just be sure to keep it all legal and pay taxes on it.

With a typical home-based startup you won't actually pay taxes for a couple of years anyway, but you have to do the accounting.
I definitely don't think my work is consistent enough to charge yet, I would hate to embarrass myself! Though I wonder if half of that problem is subjects who are less than cooperative in makeup/posing/wardrobe choices.
In my "dreamland business plans" I just require everyone to use a professional wardrobe consultant and makeup artist before they step in front of my camera. :giggle:

My model doesn't have kids, doesn't have to be somewhere else, and doesn't complain. :)
i-RWkMknC-M.jpg

Makes me glad I shoot landscapes.

You beat me to it lol

Of course, we have our own issues. Weather, inability to rearrange the subject, lighting............ and of course, people. You know.... the ones that stand in your way knowing full well you're trying to take a photo.

Damnedtourists.jpg

This clown just about knocked me over to get in front of me.

You're right on all accounts.

I'm not even going to get started on the people part.

Anyhow, we're generally up before the sunrise and we work well into the night time. Work for us can mean very little sleep. I can't count how many times i've had to put of a shot due to the weather or had to wait an entire year to shoot something because of the season. I still wouldn't trade it for a desk job though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back