Flash for a Canon Rebel

taylo168

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a flash for my Canon Rebel. That way I have something better than the pop up flash. But i'm at a complete loss as to what to get. Any suggestions?

thanks for the heads up, you know I can't decide if I want to get the digital rebel. Do you have it? Is it worth it?

Nope. I have the Canon D30.... its the same deal. The only flash that will work with either my D30 or Elan IIe is the 420EX or the 550EX.

If you want to use TTL functions, go with the Canon 420 or 550 for sure. The 550 is worth the extra money. I have the 420 and am already thinking of upgrading.

If you are looking for a less expensive option. There is a range of less powerful flashes that will work. There are smaller Canon Speed-light flashes or you could look at something like a Vivitar or other 3rd party. Any dedicated (made for Canon) hot shoe flash will be better than the pop-up on your camera.

Of course, the top end units (420, 550) are really the best if you can afford them.

Several companies make dedicated flash units that will work with Canon Rebel series cameras. The less expensive units will not have exposure compensation. If you want to use them for fill, you have to change your aperture, which will change your photo composition. Or experiment with covering the flash head with tissue, etc.

In short, if you can wait until you can afford a Canon 420 or 550, you'll be glad you did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back