Fog & Snow

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Sand_On_The_Breeze, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Sand_On_The_Breeze

Sand_On_The_Breeze TPF Noob!

A shot on a foggy day in the park. I wanted to accentuate the footprints leading into the fog. They didn't turn out all that well, but does the shot still work? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

This is a negative scan from Ilford XP2 Super.

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

The bottom is way overexposed. I like the trees with the fog, you may be able to crop off the bottom half of the pic and still have something nice. It seems to be divided right down the middle as well. I like what you were trying to do with the footprints, but the overexposure makes it hard to look at.

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You might try darkening and upping the contrast a bit. The shadow/highlight tool in photoshop might yield some interesting results, too.

I spent about 2 minutes doing this...but just to give an idea.
    [​IMG]

4. dalebe

dalebe TPF Noob!

well it works pretty well, because of what the title says it is a foggy day, and that is a very foggy shot, which makes it appear overexposed, but i think that max has done a pretty good job of creating more detail, food for thought!!

5. chbar

chbar TPF Noob!

I like the highkey effect of the original. Try burning in locally the missing footprints. You could crop out the bottom (footprints...) and have a good minimalistic image. Or... you could cheat : cut away a band in the white area, move up and stitch the area with the visible footprints...

6. Sand_On_The_Breeze

Thanks for the suggestions. I like both versions, the darkened one and the original.

7. Sand_On_The_Breeze

I like how darkening the image adds more detail to the footprints, but it seems to reduce the fog effect.

8. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

i think your original is very good. i see what the poster is trying to accomplish, but if the fog is what you're after, try selective adjustments.

9. ClarkKent

ClarkKent TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thats scene would be difficult to shoot, to cature the fog and the footprint. maybe next time you should bracket your shots next time to under expose and over expose to see what kinda results you would attain. With the current image you could use selectively use some conctrast adjustments to help accentuate the footprints

10. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Whoa! The first frame seems out of this world to me. I would try and beef up the shadow areas. Only a little. I would also try and print it 20 x 16.

11. Sand_On_The_Breeze

I'll have to remember to bracket next time. I'm still learning.

I've darkened it a little and tried burning in footprints a little. Here's what it looks like now:

[​IMG]

Is this better than the original?

12. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Looks close to me. Judging contrast etc over the web is not a good idea. Too many variables in compression and monitor settings. I say let the print be the judge.