For portraits do you use a flash in daylight also?

Aakajx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering if yous use the flash in daylight also? I've been taking a lot of photos of my kids without the flash in day light and at sport. Do you think it's best to use the flash in the day?

I use a flash whenever I need one, day time, night time or crepuscular time. Personally, I feel that almost every image can be enhanced with at least some supplemental light, even if only to 'brighten up eyes and add a nice catchlight. Sometimes a reflector is all you need, other times, it's two or three lights, modifiers, etc.

You have to be a little more careful about the lighting. If you are going to shoot portrait on a bright sunny day, it could be a little difficult for the subject to focus on the camera. The idea of this kind of photography is to make them feel comfortable. You can use reflectors in order to fill the shadow underneath their eyes. If you are going to shoot indoors, try to combine outdoor light with the camera flash lights. It will give an amazing effect.
$Markus-Staley-Photography_People.jpg

Yes all the time. For my job I take lots of photos of people in hard hats which cast a very nasty shadow in overhead sunlight. Using a flash allows me to remove that shadow so I get clean faces.

Just wondering if yous use the flash in daylight also? I've been taking a lot of photos of my kids without the flash in day light and at sport. Do you think it's best to use the flash in the day?

First, it's a tool--use it when you need it. It's like asking "do you only use a hammer indoors?"...nope, I use it when and where-ever I need it.

Second, a pop-up flash is something I almost never use (as a flash) except during daylight. It's great for fill light (when you have a strong background...like you're shooting in to a sunset, or when you want to illuminate only the immediate subject). On a harsh noon sun, it's a great antidote for raccoon eyes. Here's an example of a flash used for fill (warning: NSFW): Beautiful Sunset-1 by afplcc on deviantART

Third, I'm not wild about using a speed light or flash during sports, especially with kids. If it's on a field (say...soccer) then that light is not likely to make much difference--they'll be too far away. If it's closer (gymnastics or basketball for instance) than it's distracting to the kids.

Last of all, you can use the flash to eliminate harsh shadows. Assuming it's on camera (and we're talking a speed light not a popup), bounce it off a wall to add a bit of fill. Or set it off camera and shoot from the opposite direction of the sun to reduce light extremes.

Yuppers... I do it when the light is on the wrong side or when I need to overpower the sun for whatever reason.

Emma%20and%20Grace%20-%20Old%20%20North%20Bridge%20-%20041.jpg

Erin%20Roach%20-%20Senior%20Photos%20-%20065.jpg

Yes. This is flashed.
p1180007826-4.jpg

Attachments

• $p1180007826-4.jpg
    $p1180007826-4.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 227
Yes all the time. For my job I take lots of photos of people in hard hats which cast a very nasty shadow in overhead sunlight. Using a flash allows me to remove that shadow so I get clean faces.

So now i know who is taking all of those risque construction worker calendars ;-)

no. i 4get. i should be. it helps balance the light.

Yeah I do a lot. I've been trying to get away from relying on it too much though, because then I start to use it in situations that don't necessarily require it. I've just started being lazy with it lol.

it will keep your iso lower and your colors more vivid if they are washing out too.

Just curious as to what you do for work?

Meaning who do you shoot for

I work for the construction company. I handle all the media creation. Photos, video, websites, brochures, ads, proposals, presentations etc...

I am a busy man.

I work for the construction company. I handle all the media creation. Photos, video, websites, brochures, ads, proposals, presentations etc...

I am a busy man.

Ah I see. That's cool.

I'm about to PM you.

I use it quite a bit. I don't do a ton of portraits, but I find myself using flash quite a bit for candid stuff because it gives me a little more control over where lighting is coming from.

As runnah mentioned, getting light under caps is really helpful:

I also find it helps keep the bg from blowing out too much when exposing properly for the fg:

I'd have no detail at all on instruments, etc., here w/o flash:

Same here -- the sun was in my face for this, and unlike most portraits, I had to be where I could see the shot, rather than positioning everyone where the light was best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back