Galen Rowell Quotes

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by abraxas, Dec 26, 2008.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whether or not you are a fan of the late Galen Rowell's work, I thought the following quotes may be of interest to those into nature photography;

2. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Those are some great quotes. Landscape photography is not my favorite type to shoot or look at, but he is still one of my favorites. Both his philosophy and his work are moving.

3. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it was your tag that finally got me to looking for these. It wasn't until a few years ago that I had even heard about Galen. I ran across his web site looking for photos of the Bishop area. They were very striking to me. Reading his articles, he could express some of the things I felt. His work has been a major influence to me ever since.

4. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is a good way of putting it. I got a huge book of his work out of the library and seeing them on giant pages really knocked my socks off.

5. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been to the Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop, Ca. and seen them there. Impressive, but that was a couple years ago. I had a chance to buy a copy of one of his books at a used/out of print/rare bookstore about a year ago, but ended up buying an out of print history book. Went back the next week and it was totally gone. Oh well. As I mentioned, your tag and one of his photos on Outdoor Photography magazine got me to look into his work again, and of course, his philosophy. The magazine cover had all of their bells, whistles and BS plastered all over it, but the clear, small copy on the inside just blew me away.

6. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This one is my personal favorite.
    You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

7. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been thinking about that one a lot lately- Mostly about how I've been missing quite a few good days this month. ... Things.

Considering my background in photographing for documentation, if I had to pick one to be my favorite it'd be;

"The combination of pictures and words together can be really effective, and I began to realise in my career that unless I wrote my own words, then my message was diluted."
    Galen Rowell

I believe that the two together can say something with an impact that neither can say on their own. (Did I just requote him? :) )

BTW, That link seems to be a pretty good resouce.

8. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True enough. Another of my favorites for quotes is THIS GUY.

The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! - Henri Cartier-Bresson - during the 1930's

9. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Henri Cartier-Bresson deserves more of my time. There's two of his photos I think of when I hear/read his name. I like his quotes. If I had to pull one out of the box that impresses me right now I'd choose;

"There is no closed figure in nature. Every shape participates with another. No one thing is independent of another, and one thing rhymes with another, and light gives them shape." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

I can use that thought. The photoquotes site is quite interesting. The quote about rocks got me looking into Weston. I haven't heard to much about him, so I'll be on that too. But the site lists two, Edward and Brett. Edward is the one I've heard of and seen a bit of his work. I checked out Brett. This quote floored me;

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic."
    Brett Weston -

I've thought similar to this for sometime. I've gone on class field trips where we've hiked up into where-ever-it-is to see the rare what-is-it or the odd unconformity or the look-at-that-thing, and have sort felt let down photographically while students in the discipline are going through uncontrollable shakes and excited frenzies over what I see as -some gray thing-. Usually, the longer the hike, the less aesthetic the subject. Sometimes that's not the case, but I always have fun.

But to be fair to Brett the back end of the quote reads -

"Attributed to Brett Weston referring to working with a 10 x 8 view camera. In an interview with David Graham in July 1989 View Camera magazine. "

10. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The cool thing about reading the thoughts of the masters is the wide range of ideas you can draw upon for inspiration. Adams was a total technician, obsessed with technical perfection, Bresson cared little for the tech aspects and seemed to be more about the "decisive moment". Two philosophies at odds with each other, but one would be well served absorbing elements of both. Good times.

11. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree. Here's a quote that I've liked since I first heard it in school over 35 years ago;

"I am part of all that I have met."
    Ulysses - Alfred Lord Tennyson