GASP! A Bob-Cat!

I'm not really in a position to provide any C & C - but I just wanted to tell you that is a really cool photo - technique aside, how often do you get to see that? What is that in the background? It almost looks like a bunny with a white butt.

I'm not really in a position to provide any C & C - but I just wanted to tell you that is a really cool photo - technique aside, how often do you get to see that? What is that in the background? It almost looks like a bunny with a white butt.

I was thinking the same thing. If it was I am really surprised that the bobcat isnt getting after it.

Pretty area you live in. That really does look like a large rabbit. The colors in the photo are very nice. I don't think you were in any danger from that cat! It's beautiful though, and I envy you!

It actually is a cottontail rabbit, he does go after it, actually he lunged for it shortly after that photo. This is actually a small area of one of our properties, I was out messing around, then noticed him. I only want to get a telephoto so I don't have to crop severely.

"Gasp" is right! Wow, how exciting to see this 'kitty' so close. And I share your wish that you'd had a telephoto... wouldn't that have been awesome???!

Thanks for sharing this.

Yeah, we get them all the time. So that is why I am looking for a telephoto now. Any recomendations?

how much you got?
Telephotos can be very very expensive (even more so now that the price rises are appearing :(:()
For Nikon I don't know what specific lenses you have and what price ranges they are in = however its a choice between primes and zooms.
Sigma make quite a few decent zoom lenses, a comparison here:
Juza Nature Photography

Aside from that your left with primes -a 300mm prime is generally considered the shortest you want for wildlife. An f4 is good and will work well with a 1.4 teleconverter for extra range - a f2.8 would be the ideal, but its a more costly option - though it will work with a 2*TC without many problems (an f4 will encounter AF problems and the hit on image quality might be too large).

Then there are longer options - 400mm, 500mm and longer - but with more price

Actually no more than 600(just bought d90 and 16-85). I have no clue.

Doh, here I thought I was opening a picture of a skid loader:)

No, but I think this is more interesting than heavy machinery. And a little more vicious.

I actually saw him again, but I was riding my bike.

It's a cool photo... great catch...

Is it me, or is it just a tad out of focus?

Most reactions

Back