Gear Insurance

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. After my Canon died, I've decided it's time to get some good insurance for my gear. I have a few questions regarding it, since I have no idea where to start.

1st, who do you go through and do you like them?

2nd, what does it cover? Does it cover breakage/repairs NOT from drops or spills?

3rd, what do you pay?

Thank you, all.

Are you a professional? If not then your home owners or renter's insurance will cover your gear. Contact your agent.

I'm a commercial/product photographer, hence the questions. I'm looking for something that will cover any kind of breakage, like if my digital back would randomly fail.

Mine is through CGB Group (which is likely meaningless for you as they're a Canadian broker). For $750/year I get $2,000,000 personal & client liability, third-party liability, loss, theft & damage (irrespective of cause or location) with current model replacement* on $27,000 worth of gear.

*In other words, if my D3 was stolen, it would be replaced with a D4s/D5.

Thanks, John. See, I don't need the whole shebang with the studio, since I don't actually OWN it. I just own my camera and some other small stuff, and wanna make sure I'm covered in case the back quits on me for ANY reason, so maybe I could get it for a little less than $750/yr.

That's just gear; I sublet my studio space, so I don't carry insurance on that. Most of the cost is the liability insurance which, IMO, is critical regardless of where or what one shoots.

I use Hiscox, through amica. About $500 a year, covers up to 2,000,000 in liability, unlimited gear coverage at home, and $15k when I'm on the road shooting. As you might know, I dropped my gear in the water and am currently going through the process with them. Will let you know how it all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was quoted the same from a place called TCP. $500/yr with quarterly payments of $125. Given that my future back (Leaf) has a fan with intake and exhaust ports, I should really have insurance on it in case it sucks in rain/etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back