Getting a second Nikon Camera and Lens

davidfromoz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

We got our first SLR, a D80 with an 18-200VR lens about 6 months ago. Its been fantastic. We are spending more time on photography and its become a real love for me and my wife. The only problem is we are always squabbling over who's turn it is to take some photos, who's taking too long with the camera etc. So we're going to get another camera. It'll be good for our marriage.

The first time around I wanted to get Olympus, but we ended up with Nikon. At first, I was thinking, great here is my chance to get my E-3. But after a bit of thought I realized it only really makes sense to get another Nikon (1) so we can share the lenses and perhaps other accessories when we get some.

Another D80 would probably keep us happy for a long time to come. But I was thinking maybe we should get a different model so we can try out a different feature set. The D300 (2) is really a little more than we'd like to spend on a camera but we can afford it I guess.

As for lens, we're really quite happy with the 18-200VR. But I understand that breaking that range up into two lenses would mean better images. So I was wondering about getting a 70-300VR (3) and then maybe (later?) the Tamron 17-50. We mostly take landscape pictures with the odd animal (which is often too far away with our 18-200) along the way. I would think in the coming year we'll probably get ourselves a nice wide lens and maybe a macro type lens (18-200 wont focus near enough).

I know this kind of thing is horses for courses. But its quite an investment for us. I'm hoping there might be some forum members who could give us some comments on our plans or perhaps other reasonable plans. (key decisions are numbered)

cheers,
david

Definetly stay with one company for compatibility reasons

I just had this same problem (D300 or D80). I went with the D300 and I'm happy that I did. Sure it's a lot of money but when you think about what you're getting out of it, it makes sense - at least for me. I guess it really depends on how far you're looking to take this hobby. If you're not sure how far, would you be willing to drop $1,000 now and then a year or less later decide you should have gotten the D300 and then drop another $2000. I guess what I'm saying is that if it were me I would spend the money now and be happy in the long run knowing that you got the best for your money.

Off hand, I would say opt for the D300 for compatibility, but I'm not sure that would stop the squabbling since you'll be fighting over who gets to use that one. Another option is to get a second D80.:)

Definately stick with the Nikon line so that when you purchase more lenses, they are compatible with both cameras.

As for camera choice, the D300 is definately an awesome camera, however, what happens when the D300 user's pics start coming out SO MUCH BETTER than the D80 user's?

If that will cause marital strife, you'd better just stick to another D80, which is already an awesome camera in and of itself.

Me? In my relationships, I am the one who wears the pants, and it caused no strife if I had the better camera (back in my P&S days... she had a Kodak and I went and purchased a Nikon E8800).

If I was in your shoes, D300 all the way!

Well even though I am strong Nikon person I do think this is one of their weak areas. It seems to me that Canon has way more models between the D80 (I know this is Nikon) and the D300. It would be nice for nikon to stick a model in between those 2 cameras. If it were me I would go for the D300 but you will also have to take into consideration the fact that there is no pop-up flash on the D300 so you will have to buy a flash if you have been using the pop-up on your D80.

there is no pop-up flash on the D300
:raisedbrow:

nikon-d300_1.jpg

Another D80 would probably keep us happy for a long time to come. But I was thinking maybe we should get a different model so we can try out a different feature set. The D300 (2) is really a little more than we'd like to spend on a camera but we can afford it I guess.
Forget the D300.

Unless you guys are pros who are using your cameras all day long and always need to make a lot of adjustments very quickly, you'll probably never get your money's worth out of it. You'd be far better off (IMHO of course) getting either a second D80 or a lesser body (D60, D40) and putting the remaining balance of what you would have spent on a D300 and getting some of those other lenses now rather than later. A lesser body like the D40 specifically has better high ISO performance (because of fewer megapixels), superior 1/500s flash sync, is sharper with cheaper lenses, is smaller, lighter, and I find it easier to use and quicker to make adjustments than my D80. I honestly prefer using my D40 over my D80. The only reason I'm keeping my D80 is because it has the built-in focusing motor to work with a lot of the legacy non-AFS glass out there.

If you got a D40 that's $500 with the 18-55 kit lens which is sharper and a better performer from 18-55mm than the 18-200VR is. And that'd leave you $1300 to spend on nicer glass right now. :thumbup: Could get a used Nikkor 12-24 f/4 AF-S for $700-800 and then maybe the new 60mm f/2.8 AF-S micro if you wanted to stick with all AF-S glass. There's the Sigma 10-22mm f/4-5.6 HSM wideangle too as long as speed isn't important. Or a wideangle and the 70-300VR for $500. You can put the Canon 500D close-up filter on the 70-300VR and get nearly 1:1 macro if you only want to do occasional macro work.

Just FYI, the new D90 is expected to be released sometime this year, perhaps within a few months, which will probably have the D300 sensor and a 'select' feature set from the D300 as well. Used D200's are also plentiful and dirt cheap at the moment too. More and more used D80's are starting to go up for sale as well.

hmmm, i am assuming he was mistaken for the D3?
... and for another $3200 you don't have to be bothered with that pesky little pop-up flash. :lol:

Forget the D300.

Unless you guys are pros who are using your cameras all day long and always need to make a lot of adjustments very quickly, you'll probably never get your money's worth out of it.
I completely disagree with that part of your comments. I have both the D80 and D300. I am not a pro and I don't use my camera all day long. However, I have already gotten my money's worth out of it from the sheer pleasure of using it.

The only reason I would consider the OP to back off the D300 is because of his statement...
The D300 (2) is really a little more than we'd like to spend on a camera but we can afford it I guess.
This is where guesswork should be eliminated.

But then again, you aren't going to find the quality, features and specs of a pro camera (less full frame sensor) anywhere else at an affordable price (albeit still fairly stiff). You should pair the D300 with top shelf glass, but that can be budgeted throught the year. Staying with prime lenses is one option.

My vote would be the D300 if it is not a financial burden.

Just my 2¢.

What about a D200?
A friend of mine has a D50 and when it was time for her to buy a second body, she went with the D200.

If, as you say, both of you are getting more and more into photography, go for the D300. Think of it as a long-term investment in something you both love and want to continue ... simply because the D300 body should significantly outlast the D80.

I doubt you'll see a significant difference in image quality between the 80 and the 300. Most of the real differences are in body construction, materials, etc. - not sensor quality. I'm NOT saying there's NO difference! Just that there's probably not enough to notice most of the time.

Equipment compatibility is a big plus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back