Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The universe is busy making me spend some money for some reason. I found this person who claims to have a 6 months old 70-300 VR with all receipts and everything and is selling it off for roughly 300 US $ equivalent.

I'll go get it today, as apparently someone else is visiting tomorrow and I really do want one.

The only couple of dilemmas I have is, he said the lens comes with the original bill and warranty card but the card is not stamped. I'm pretty sure I'd get it anyway, but this bugged me a little.

1. My only real question, does the 70-300 has VRII or VR? Or are there different versions of it? Couldn't find any info on the internet about this; didn't spend too much time as well as I have to get this in a few hours.

2. The other question, will it work with the TPF special D100? I will be upgrading the camera some time soon, but not sure when. I'll be back to ground zero after investing in this lens anyway, but I want something proper and see if it helps me improve my photography.

3. I've read most suggestions on what to check when buying a used lens, but any suggestions are still welcome. This will after all be my first ever lens purchase.. yay!! :D (I hate these smileys even now)

As I read when I bought mine 1 year ago there is only one version of 70-300 f4-5,6 VR and it works very well with my D90 do I guess you it will work reliable with D100 too. And it's a full-frame lens so it will fit to all nikon's cameras.

Thanks Usul.. Although D90 is a relatively newer lens, I found a few pics with D100 and 70-300 VR so I guess it works :D
It would have been great if it was VR II though. :(

oops .. hit enter too quickly and I don't see a way to edit it. (edit button on bottom left lol)

the VR II is the latest 70-300 variable aperture lens
--> AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED from Nikon

Before that was the non-VR version - which is much cheaper --> Nikon | Imaging Products | AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (4.3x)

then there appears to be a Nikon branded Tamron 70-300 lens --> Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Nikkor Test Review © 2005 KenRockwell.com

and before that I think was the original 75-300 AF --> Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Review

I've had the first 75-300 which I recently replaced with the current VRII version. A world of difference in everything.

Thanks Steve, but as it turned out I spent four hours of travel time in vain as the lens, although in very good physical condition, had just started to catch a little fungus on the front element. It was enough to scare me off.. Sorry to bother you guys, but it seems I'll have to keep looking. :(

That's a shame! You'd definitely love that 70-300; much, much sharper than the Sigma I gave you.
What's REALLY a shame is that I *have* one that I'm really just not using anymore, since I bought a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 a few months ago. I held on to the 70-300, thinking I'd still use it some (and because I just love it, so I really don't want to part with it!), but I've not used it ONE time since I got the Tamron. I've about decided I really do need to sell it. If you were here, I'd make you a great deal on it! But a great deal PLUS shipping to India would equal "seriously expensive!"

nothing in vain
you're learning what to look for
and sooner or later you'll find one

That's a shame! You'd definitely love that 70-300; much, much sharper than the Sigma I gave you.
What's REALLY a shame is that I *have* one that I'm really just not using anymore, since I bought a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 a few months ago. I held on to the 70-300, thinking I'd still use it some (and because I just love it, so I really don't want to part with it!), but I've not used it ONE time since I got the Tamron. I've about decided I really do need to sell it. If you were here, I'd make you a great deal on it! But a great deal PLUS shipping to India would equal "seriously expensive!"

I just did the opposite. I bought a nikon 70-300vrii to replace the sports shooting I'm doing with a 80-200/2.8 due to my kids moving to a larger soccer field. I need the focal length.

and i'm thinking of adding a TC to my 80-200 as it would give me more length at the same f/5.6 of the 70-300 @300 .. but the "new: price of a good TC is half the price of the tamron 150-600 lens.
decisions decisions ....

This is not fair, I'm even sadder now!!:miserable::miserable::miserable::miserable:
No problemo, I'm sure I'll be able to visit US someday and take it off your hands.. Let's keep hoping :icon_smurf: I love the new smileys btw :kiwi-fruit:

nothing in vain
you're learning what to look for
and sooner or later you'll find one
:) hopefully! I'm considering skipping the 70-300 VR and getting the tammy instead, but the truth is if i do I won't have enough for the camera upgrade.. :p
You can't have it all I guess :( I'd seriously suggest getting the tammy, even if it means selling of your 70-300, it's almost overlapping anyway and the tammy is very very sharp to 400mm.

Bummer, but good choice.
lol.. The lens, or my decision to walk away? I really thought I had a good deal here.. The autofocus was spot on, the lens quality as good as new.. if only it was fungus free!! :( Now I'm so fired up, I might just buy a new one.. I've managed to stay away from them for so long, but I guess now it's time to consider the credit card guys who call me twice everyday. :lol:

Yes, if I get the tammy the 70-300 is gone.
I still need the 80-200 for portraiture if I ever get any good at it.

I'd stay away from a lens with fungus. You don't know what it's been through to get fungus.

Most reactions

Back