Ghost ship

Oooh ... Oooh ... Oooh. ... I love this. I absolutely love this. One of your photographic best! I love the darker image (which I would turn into a B&W). I love the second take ... just because. I’d leave the second take as is. I don’t care for smokes665’s take ... just because I don’t like smoke665. Smoke665 took the Ghost out of Ghostship.

I kinda of agree. The scene is really setup for monochrome. The composition is good. If I seen that, I would do what ever I could to stabilize the camera and bracket some shots.

Well gee @Gary A. Don't hold back on me. Lol if it weren't for errands and my upmost respect for Tirediron I'd do one just for you with Casper in the wheelhouse.:biggrin-93:

Very dark. I am not compelled to even want to look at it. Not sure what there is to look at...
Are you not seeing any detail at all?

I see the bow, the railing, the mast, an anchor bouy...a bit of water. But none of that is genuinely compelling. I just do not "want" to decipher the shot...it's just too dark. I was not there. I have no association with the scene or the place, so to me, this one's a binner... Sorry to be so blunt, but hey, it says, "Mr. Rain Cloud" there under my picture, so...
Mehh... you're welcome to try, but you're very unlikely to hurt my feelings. They weren't on the kit list; I wasn't issued any! ;) Seriously, I appreciate direct responses. I don't like every image I see here and I don't expect everyone to like every image I create; that said, it definitely sounds like you're not seeing the full image. It is very dark, but you should be able to see sky, water and the whole boat and its reflection.

Would have been really great lighting if that searchlight had a few more stops on 'er
Damn straight! :irked:
I look at this and here are my thoughts.... Tripod, remote, f/8, ISO 200, play in post.
I was north of 4K on the ISO-ometer for this, so I'm pretty sure 200 would have given me exactly zero to play with in post unless I used a shutter speed of several seconds, which would have rendered the boat soft from movement.

I like it! That's exactly what I was thinking. Has a very mysterious vibe to it. I think you've done well working with what was available to you.
Thanks! :)

I played around in LR and Define 2 with this, trying to recover a little more detail, and noise reduction. Wasn't much in the ship, but surprisingly the sky and water offered up a little more, which allowed a silhouette effect on the ship. Anyhow, a different take, on an interesting image.
Definitely more detail than I thought was available (I didn't push it nearly that far), but I think that might take too much of the mystery out for my taste.

Oooh ... Oooh ... Oooh. ... I love this. I absolutely love this. One of your photographic best! I love the darker image (which I would turn into a B&W). I love the second take ... just because. I’d leave the second take as is. I don’t care for smokes665’s take ... just because I don’t like smoke665. Smoke665 took the Ghost out of Ghostship.
Wow... thanks Gary!!!!

I must admit, I like this version too!

I wonder if something in the middle would look the best in print? Paper is always so "dark" compared to my lovely monitors.

In this brighter version, I would clone over the bright lights in the background. (theres three of them camera right) Maybe with a 50% opacity clone, they need to stay there for the reflection on the water, but maybe not so harsh.
Definitely going to play a little more and I'll probably send a couple to the lab with my next print order just for s**ts & giggles.

I kinda of agree. The scene is really setup for monochrome. The composition is good. If I seen that, I would do what ever I could to stabilize the camera and bracket some shots.
Hadn't tried a monochrome yet... will add that to the list! :D

Well gee @Gary A. Don't hold back on me. Lol if it weren't for errands and my upmost respect for Tirediron I'd do one just for you with Casper in the wheelhouse.:biggrin-93:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back