Gigabit B&W Film

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Bobby Ironsights, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Bobby Ironsights

Bobby Ironsights TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

My feeling is that it is a bunch of marketing b.s. Any photo (or part of a photo really) shot on an 8" x 10" negative that is anything but perfectly clear in a 288x400 pixel on-screen image - as in the last example on that page where no doubt they are suggesting the photo on the right is from the large format camera - has not been taken properly or not been displayed correctly. And anyone that is going to claim that any 35mm film is going to come even close to competing with a 6cm x 7cm negative, let alone an 8" x 10" negative, is about to sell you some swampland in Florida as the saying goes.

*Any* 35mm film (okay, 400 or slower) is going to give you resolution as fine as a computer monitor, so the whole idea of looking at a scan of an entire photo as a way of judging the quality of the film is a little rediculous. Properly scanned and digitally processed, any moderately slow film should look as good as those examples.

My guess is you are looking for a good, slow film. I'm sure many of the offerings at ISO 100 from Fuji, Kodak, Agfa and Ilford would give you very good results. Plus, if you look a little harder you can find stuff like Efke/Adox 25 to take that even further, or there's the Rollei 25 as well.

Dave

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I’ve never used Gigabit. It I recall correctly it microfilm. That is the reason for the extreme fine grin. I know of two other brands that sale this type of film. They are Bluefire sold by Frugal Photographer and Adox CMS20 sold by J and C or Fotoimpex.

Also I read somewhere on net that Bluefire is the Gigabit and that Adox CMS20 is an Agfa film but manufactured by a German OEM supplier. Hex the two could be the same film

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If they were trying to show quality, you'd think they'd turn down the JPG compression. Those images have loads of artifacts. It's impossible to know if it's the film, the scan, or the processing, but I think they look like crap. There's no contrast, many blown out areas, etc., and this is on a balanced monitor.

5. ThomThomsk

ThomThomsk TPF Noob!

Gigabit is re-packaged Agfa Copex-Pan. No magic, and not as simple to handle as "normal" films.

Start with something mainstream. A conventional film like Ilford HP5+ or Kodak Tri-X, developed in ID-11 (Ilford fine grain developer) or D-76 (same thing from Kodak). Follow the manufacturer's instructions closely and you will get excellent results. One film, one developer, and get really comfortable with that before you move on to more unusal emulsions.

Thom

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's microfilm. Great resolution with a ***** of a tonal scale. I think most of the examples look horrible. I think it could be usable, but would take lots of personal testing.