Going to see Nascar and want to try and take pictures. Advice?

JohnS.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back when I first started using a DLSR, a lot of my time was with cars, both moving and stationary but mainly stationary. I have very basic experience in that field, so it's just a lot of practice that I need at this point. What I'm more concerned about is being at the event. We haven't bought our tickets yet but I've never been to an official event. In my experience, I would either hang out the passenger window or be on the side of the road at a car show. At an actual race track, there obviously isn't as much room to roam around.

I'll be going to Watkins Glen International, if any of you have been there. Generally, can you take decent pictures from your seats (assuming all seats have clear view of the track itself)? Can you walk around to decent spots without a pass or credentials? I plan on just bringing my 70-300 with me.

Thanks in advance :).

Actually it's probably much better than a circle track. Might not be as much fencing blocking the view. At the circle tracks they rush you away from the fence. They let the quick selfie go. But no lingering around.

DO some on-line reasearch into panning....panning has a LOT of nuance to it, and it's both art, and science! Seriously! You can pan at 1/6 of a second...you can pan at 1/60 second...you can pan at 1/250 second...you can pan at 1/2500 second...and the effects are all different.

One tip I can give you: MANY beginners to panning tewnd to freeze up, and stop the pan as they trigger the shot...to avoid this, try this tip: frame up the shot you want as far as focal length and camera placement (your actual shooting position, is what I mean by camera placement). get a focus for the "zone" the car will be in, and set that focus, and either put the camera into manual focus, OR use a back-button or shutter release "lock" to hold that focus point; THEN, as the cars come into the shot, peer over the prism of the camera, so that when the mirror goes up, you do not subconsciously stop the panning movement.

Shoot the same, exact shot multiple, multiple times as each new car comes into the focus/composition zone!

Try this peering-over-the-prism method for at least 10 minutes. Then, perhaps go back to shooting through the eye-level viewfinder.

Realize that even though the cars may be moving fast, you have 1,2,3 second or so to acquire the target, swing with it, and KEEP swinging along with it, and then SHOOT at the exact, right spot and timing. THis is a ONE-shot type of method I'm talking about, where you PRE-plan the camera placement, fovcal length, and the composion, and then the cars will repeatedly come past you and you can GET the right shot by solid fundamentals and repetition of ther same actions, and by using what is called shot discipline.

After 15,20,30 of the same, exact shot attempts, you will "get it", and will start nailing good panning shots!

I've been to some NASCAR events in Phoenix working for a corporate client in a suite and had only limited access to track side but here's what I noticed that might help: If possible buy a pit pass. There're interesting visuals there. I always thought it would be fun to do a walk around the village of rv's but not enough to buy a ticket and go back on my own time. There's also a midway, like at a state fair, where all the teams and sponsors have merchandise. Having access to a hospitality suite I was able to shoot some from the roof which was a good vantage point. NASCAR is very protective of its brand and any pictures will not be commercially usable. Have fun, I've heard one can sometimes find shine at those gatherings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know about walking around.
I've never attended a NASCAR race.
The few times I've been to Watkins Glen I was there to race in SCCA races.

Download the Facility Map (click on the link under TICKETS)

If you sit in the Seneca grandstand at the end of the front straight the cars will be approaching you which minimizes the need for panning.
As the cars turn in and negotiate the corner they will be moving as slow as they go on a race lap of that track, which makes it easier to pan.

However, many of the great Watkins Glen photos have been shot from about where the Esses grandstand is on the inside of turn 3.

I would also seriously consider a seat in the Argetsinger grandstand so I could get shots of the cars coming out of turn 1 and then making their way through 2 & 3 as they go up the hill.

It's to bad NASCAR doesn't use the Boot (turns 6, 7, & 8). Turn 6 is a favored passing point on a full lap of Watkins Glen.

DO some on-line reasearch into panning....panning has a LOT of nuance to it, and it's both art, and science! Seriously! You can pan at 1/6 of a second...you can pan at 1/60 second...you can pan at 1/250 second...you can pan at 1/2500 second...and the effects are all different.

One tip I can give you: MANY beginners to panning tewnd to freeze up, and stop the pan as they trigger the shot...to avoid this, try this tip: frame up the shot you want as far as focal length and camera placement (your actual shooting position, is what I mean by camera placement). get a focus for the "zone" the car will be in, and set that focus, and either put the camera into manual focus, OR use a back-button or shutter release "lock" to hold that focus point; THEN, as the cars come into the shot, peer over the prism of the camera, so that when the mirror goes up, you do not subconsciously stop the panning movement.

Shoot the same, exact shot multiple, multiple times as each new car comes into the focus/composition zone!

Try this peering-over-the-prism method for at least 10 minutes. Then, perhaps go back to shooting through the eye-level viewfinder.

Realize that even though the cars may be moving fast, you have 1,2,3 second or so to acquire the target, swing with it, and KEEP swinging along with it, and then SHOOT at the exact, right spot and timing. THis is a ONE-shot type of method I'm talking about, where you PRE-plan the camera placement, fovcal length, and the composion, and then the cars will repeatedly come past you and you can GET the right shot by solid fundamentals and repetition of ther same actions, and by using what is called shot discipline.

After 15,20,30 of the same, exact shot attempts, you will "get it", and will start nailing good panning shots!

Thanks Derrel! Informative as always. I think I know what you're talking about. Basically pick a spot on the track, set the focus on it, then pan out and with the car as it comes towards the focus point and snap the photo at the focus spot while continuing to pan through? I read about that technique last night before I made this point.

I haven't had much experience with panning yet, so this will be great practice. I really enjoy photo's of race cars where only the car is in focus and the wheels and rest of the photo are blurry but that's just me. I'll have to tinker with settings and try to practice a bunch of different styles.

I plan on just bringing my 70-300 with me.

Most sporting events these days wont wet you in with a lens like that unless you have a press pass.

That'd be a bummer if so... Someone posted a link of the carry-in policy and it doesn't say any particular lenses aren't allowed. Worst case scenario, I have to walk back to my car and leave the camera behind.

I've been to some NASCAR events in Phoenix working for a corporate client in a suite and had only limited access to track side but here's what I noticed that might help: If possible buy a pit pass. There're interesting visuals there. I always thought it would be fun to do a walk around the village of rv's but not enough to buy a ticket and go back on my own time. There's also a midway, like at a state fair, where all the teams and sponsors have merchandise. Having access to a hospitality suite I was able to shoot some from the roof which was a good vantage point. NASCAR is very protective of its brand and any pictures will not be commercially usable. Have fun, I've heard one can sometimes find shine at those gatherings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If this wasn't my first time shooting at such an event, I would consider that. I've always wanted to be near the pit at racing events. I'm also going with friends, so I'd rather not leave them behind the entire time haha. Thanks!

Like I said to another member, it doesn't specify lenses, so here's to hoping!

Thanks for the link!

I don't know about walking around.
I've never attended a NASCAR race.
The few times I've been to Watkins Glen I was there to race in SCCA races.

Download the Facility Map (click on the link under TICKETS)

If you sit in the Seneca grandstand at the end of the front straight the cars will be approaching you which minimizes the need for panning.
As the cars turn in and negotiate the corner they will be moving as slow as they go on a race lap of that track, which makes it easier to pan.

However, many of the great Watkins Glen photos have been shot from about where the Esses grandstand is on the inside of turn 3.

I would also seriously consider a seat in the Argetsinger grandstand so I could get shots of the cars coming out of turn 1 and then making their way through 2 & 3 as they go up the hill.

It's to bad NASCAR doesn't use the Boot (turns 6, 7, & 8). Turn 6 is a favored passing point on a full lap of Watkins Glen.

I'll have to talk with my friends and see where they want to sit. The less panning I have to do, the happier I'll probably be, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Thanks for the info!

Keep in mind that you have to adhere to not only the Watkins Glen requirements but NASCAR requirements as well. I don't know what NASCAR's are but I'd bet they are more restrictive since, as was mentioned, NASCAR is rabid about protecting their brand.

Not only Nascar, 'everybody' is protective of their brand, their logo, etc. I've found it's gotten much more restrictive in sports than it used to be. In my area even high school sports started issuing credentials and/or restricting photography. Particularly with bringing in longer telephoto lenses; the size of the venue probably makes a difference in allowing attendees to bring in telephoto lenses.

I've done mostly hockey, and found panning took practicing to get a smooth follow through. If the movement is rough or jerky it'll probably cause blur; if you release the shutter and stop, you'll probably get blur because the subject is still moving and you stopped. I keep the camera moving maybe a half second or a second or so after releasing the shutter (with subjects not at the speed of motor sports).

I'd go ahead of time someplace where something is in motion, maybe a festival/carnival, boating, etc. where it's OK to bring in a camera, or even cars going down the street (although the neighbors might think you're nuts). You don't even have to take that many pictures, practice smoooooth movement.

And if there's moonshine, try not to drink too much of it before attempting panning.

Keep in mind that you have to adhere to not only the Watkins Glen requirements but NASCAR requirements as well. I don't know what NASCAR's are but I'd bet they are more restrictive since, as was mentioned, NASCAR is rabid about protecting their brand.

I don't plan on uploading these to the public. The only place I share photo's is on Facebook and I'm only friends with people I actually know and keep in contact with (my friends list is only at around 110). Hopefully they stay there.

Not only Nascar, 'everybody' is protective of their brand, their logo, etc. I've found it's gotten much more restrictive in sports than it used to be. In my area even high school sports started issuing credentials and/or restricting photography. Particularly with bringing in longer telephoto lenses; the size of the venue probably makes a difference in allowing attendees to bring in telephoto lenses.

I've done mostly hockey, and found panning took practicing to get a smooth follow through. If the movement is rough or jerky it'll probably cause blur; if you release the shutter and stop, you'll probably get blur because the subject is still moving and you stopped. I keep the camera moving maybe a half second or a second or so after releasing the shutter (with subjects not at the speed of motor sports).

I'd go ahead of time someplace where something is in motion, maybe a festival/carnival, boating, etc. where it's OK to bring in a camera, or even cars going down the street (although the neighbors might think you're nuts). You don't even have to take that many pictures, practice smoooooth movement.

And if there's moonshine, try not to drink too much of it before attempting panning.

Like I said, worst case scenario, I have to walk back to my car and leave the camera behind. I was just hoping this would be a good opportunity to practice some real racing photography.

I don't plan on uploading these to the public. The only place I share photo's is on Facebook and I'm only friends with people I actually know and keep in contact with (my friends list is only at around 110). Hopefully they stay there.
I went to a Monster Truck event a month or so ago and their photography limitations were extensive. The size of the camera and lens were limited, and they explicitly stated that posting to any social media was prohibited.

I went to a Monster Truck event a month or so ago and their photography limitations were extensive. The size of the camera and lens were limited, and they explicitly stated that posting to any social media was prohibited.
Well then...that kind of makes me sad lol. I'll have to call the track and get further info now.

Most reactions

Back