Good 10-stop ND filters?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got a cheap Amazon kit full of weird filters, but it cost me $30.

I want to pick up a single ND filter that would fit on a Tamron 15-30. I'm thinking a 10 stop would be quite versatile. I probably want to steer clear of stacking ND filters. Any suggestions?

I am hoping there's something in the good price-to-performance ratio of around $100? Or am I SOL?

10-stop NDs are a more exotic variation in the ND line-up. 3-stop NDs are much more usable in real life.

10-stop NDs are a more exotic variation in the ND line-up. 3-stop NDs are much more usable in real life.

A shot that would be say 1/250 at f8 during a sunset could be brought to what? Maybe f13. Rough math, 5 stops slower, that's 1/125, to 1/65, to 1/32, to 1/16, to approximately 1/8. That still doesn't get me a slow enough shutter I'd think?

I have never shot with an ND filter really, so I haven't though about the numbers.

The sole purpose would be for shots for water or the sky.

your math confuses me but I'm sleepy. A 3 or 4 stop filter comes in handy if your shutter speed is limited to 1/4000 and you want to shoot wide open 2.8f or faster.

A 10 stop, in high daylight, you can't even see through the lens, it's that dark. I use it occasionally for slowing water down and similar effect. Focus, lock, screw on the ND, remote shutter release.

A good filter is required. Cheap ones leave terrible color cast. I use B+W

Top 5 ND filters
Rankings from amateurphotographer.co.uk
Prices from Amazon USA
All provide 9 or 10 stops of darkening (Hoya is the only 9 stop filter listed here)

Lee Filters Big Stopper $150.00 4 out of 5 ****
B+W ND110 $66.61 4 out of 5 ****
Hoya NDX400 $64.99 4 out of 5 ****
Formatt Hi-Tech Pro Stop 10 $129.00 4 out of 5 ****
Tiffen ND 3.0 $24.00 5 out of 5 *****

The Tiffen got the best results with the least color cast and vignetting of these 5 and it's not expensive. You don't have to spend a lot to get the best quality if you do some research.
The Tiffen actually produces less color cast and vignetting than the B+W that costs twice as much.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Again, specifically I'm looking for the Tamron 15-30. It would have to be a square ND filter.

Having troubles figuring this stuff out. Looks like it would be fairly expensive, more toward the $300+ range.

You can hand hold a 77mm round filter in front of the lens without vignetting, and you may be able to build some sort of a rubber ring cap mount to hold a filter, but you don't have a good lens for using with a filter.

Maybe I'll just look for the best square ND filter I can find, and then figure out a way to keep it pressed to the front of the lens.

Or use a different lens for the long exposure shots.

Or use a different lens for the long exposure shots.

The Nikon 16-35mm was the same price as the Tamron 15-30. It's worth the trouble getting an ND filter in front of it, than compromising with the 16-35 just for easier filters.

Did you add in the cost to attach a filter to it in the pricing?

Did you add in the cost to attach a filter to it in the pricing?

No I closed my eyes, covered my ears, and pressed "submit order".

If I have to wait on affording a filter I guess I'll wait. I think I can create my own filter attaching system. I also have a cheap filter attachment system that might actually fit (bought it for $30 with cheap square filters on Amazon), so I'll go dig it up and see.

The cheap filter attachment sets will get you going. That's the route I went. Cheap attachment set, good square filters.

A shot that would be say 1/250 at f8 during a sunset could be brought to what? Maybe f13. Rough math, 5 stops slower, that's 1/125, to 1/65, to 1/32, to 1/16, to approximately 1/8. That still doesn't get me a slow enough shutter I'd think?

I have never shot with an ND filter really, so I haven't though about the numbers.

The sole purpose would be for shots for water or the sky.

If you're shooting a sunset at 1/250 and f/8, your ISO is probably too high. Drop your ISO first. You'll gain longer shutter speeds right there without spending a nickel. Let's say you can gain 4 stops using that.

Close your aperture from f/8 to f/22. Another 3 stops. Free.

Now you're only 3 stops away from 1/15.

Now, there is no one, single 'magic' shutter speed used for making water our clouds silky smooth. If the water our clouds are swiftly moving, 1/15 may do the trick. But if the water is rather calm, you may need to use an even longer shutter speed. You might want to look into getting 2 or three NDs. Maybe 2-, 3- and 5-stop. Not to stack them, but to have the ability to match your filter to the scene and the desired results.

However, by the time you drop the dime on a set of three, you may well consider stepping up to a top-notch VND that will garner you the ability to go from 2 to 8 stops with the twist of a ring. All in one filter.

Quality means a thinner wallet, yes. But buy quality and buy once.

I'd get a set like Sparky mentioned instead of a cheap 10 stop filter. The Big Stopper and the Mor-Slo are the two that come to my mind by Lee and Singh-Ray but they are expensive and you could get the 2, 3 and 5 stops that are good for probably less money and have more uses for it.

I personally have the Cokin square system and use it for all of my lenses. It will not connect to my Sigma 15-30mm but I have held it successfully and I have tried to use rubber bands to hold it in place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back