Grain

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My camera often takes really grainy pictures. Is there anway to fix it and remove the grain? I have photoshop and tried several things but they didn't work. Anyone, feel free to try if you want.

HPIM4793.jpg

I'm guessing you understand ISO sensor speeds and whatnot. From there if your results are still insufficient, I would try a post processing tool like Noise Ninja or something like that.

The grain you are getting is "noise". Noise is a by-product of your sensors ability to capture light (very very very simplified definition here) and reproduce an image especially in low-light situations. Same applies to film (some films are better than others).

The amount of noise depends on various factors some of which are : 1. Sensor's abilities (or film's) 2. ISO (or ASA) used. The higher the ISO the higher the possiblity of noise.

Different ways of removing that grain/noise is using Photoshop noise removal or other independent noise removal prograpms like the one mentioned Noise Ninja or another one like Neat Image, there are many more out there.

If you do not have an understanding of ISO, I would suggest searching "ISO' in the forum.

Hope that helps.

according to the exif data your ISO is at 100 which is almost noiseless but you're in "portrait" mode. I haven't really played with this mode but I'm guessing the camera adds the noise to the picture to give it that "portrait" look. Noise and softness. You might wanna try a different mode and as
others have suggested, a good noise reduction program.

Most reactions

Back