Have you ever used 70-300 Lens?

Which one do you want to have?

• Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
I have the 70-300 VR and its been really good to me. I don't use it all that much because I typically shoot under 100mm most of the time, but I got no problems grabbing my 70-300 VR when I need a tele or when shooting wildlife, its focuses fairly fast if your body has enough power and the built quality is pretty good. I haven't used the Tamron version, but I expect it to be pretty much equal. Either one you get, you'll be happy with. I only bought the Nikon one because I got an amazing price on a new one, couldn't resist it.

Took this with the 70-300 VR handheld at 1/60th at 125mm, I'd say the VR works decent.

8995196231_c1005b877c_c.jpg

Chipmunk, f/5.6, 300mm, 1/320th
14007148737_e9db197097_c.jpg

I have the 70-300 VR and its been really good to me. I don't use it all that much because I typically shoot under 100mm most of the time, but I got no problems grabbing my 70-300 VR when I need a tele or when shooting wildlife, its focuses fairly fast if your body has enough power and the built quality is pretty good. I haven't used the Tamron version, but I expect it to be pretty much equal. Either one you get, you'll be happy with. I only bought the Nikon one because I got an amazing price on a new one, couldn't resist it.

Took this with the 70-300 VR handheld at 1/60th at 125mm, I'd say the VR works decent.

8995196231_c1005b877c_c.jpg

Chipmunk, f/5.6, 300mm, 1/320th
14007148737_e9db197097_c.jpg
As you said, Nikon works decent, the photos are really amazing.

What about the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G w/out the VR? B&H has it for $130. Is that a super outdated lens or would that be a good buy if I didn't need VR because I'm always mounted.
Is that lens a manual only focus lens?

I own one of these, the 70-300mm f/4 to f/5.6 G models, one of the earliest G-series lenses. This lens is unusual in that although it is a G-series, meaning it has no aperture control ring on the lens, it uses screw-drive focusing!!! So it will NOT autofocus on the D40,D40x,D60, or the entire D3xxx and D5xxx series bodies. The original 70-300mm G also has a very narrow, front-mounted manual focusing ring. It is f/4.0 at 70mm and f/5.6 at 300mm. It has NO VR.

What about the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G w/out the VR? B&H has it for $130. Is that a super outdated lens or would that be a good buy if I didn't need VR because I'm always mounted.

No, that lens is much older than the 70-300 VR and is nowhere near as good optically.
This lens is not very good. It's not very sharp, and it has a lot of color fringing, especially above 200mm...it's really NOT a very good lens,and it shows even on 6 MP crop-body camera that it's not a good lens. I have however used it as a soft-focus lens with a Cokin diffuser filter fitted to it, and with its long focal lengths and ample color fringing, it actually looks quite beautiful as a soft-focus or "effects-type" lens in bright lighting conditions with the diffusion filter added. And no, I am not kidding...this lens looks beautiful when used with some type of softening or diffusing or fog filter in front of it, and wide-open you get a nice, perfectly round aperture with no diaphragm blades.

I own one of these, the 70-300mm f/4 to f/5.6 G models, one of the earliest G-series lenses. This lens is unusual in that although it is a G-series, meaning it has no aperture control ring on the lens, it uses screw-drive focusing!!! So it will NOT autofocus on the D40,D40x,D60, or the entire D3xxx and D5xxx series bodies. The original 70-300mm G also has a very narrow, front-mounted manual focusing ring. It is f/4.0 at 70mm and f/5.6 at 300mm. It has NO VR.

No, that lens is much older than the 70-300 VR and is nowhere near as good optically.
This lens is not very good. It's not very sharp, and it has a lot of color fringing, especially above 200mm...it's really NOT a very good lens,and it shows even on 6 MP crop-body camera that it's not a good lens. I have however used it as a soft-focus lens with a Cokin diffuser filter fitted to it, and with its long focal lengths and ample color fringing, it actually looks quite beautiful as a soft-focus or "effects-type" lens in bright lighting conditions with the diffusion filter added. And no, I am not kidding...this lens looks beautiful when used with some type of softening or diffusing or fog filter in front of it, and wide-open you get a nice, perfectly round aperture with no diaphragm blades.

Well that's good to know. Thanks man. I'm definitely wanting to pick up a 70-300 and it looks my best option is to go used through B&H with the 70-300 VR for$380 in 9/10 condition or the Tamron for $360in 9+ condition

Last edited:

That was going to be my next step to check them. I may stop in there and pick it up for the weekend. Thanks man!

KEH has a few of the Tamron's in stock for under $300 in excellent to like new condition. Also they provide a 6 month warranty against any defects that arise. Also if you get the lens and you simply don't like it for whatever reason (even if it has a scratch where you don't like) they will take it back no questions asked.

TAMRON 70-300MM F 4-5.6 SP DI VC USD A005 AUTOFOCUS LENS FOR NIKON 62 - KEH Camera

Last edited:
KEH has a few of the Tamron's in stock for under $300 in excellent to like new condition. Also they provide a 6 month warranty against any defects that arise. Also if you get the lens and you simply don't like it for whatever reason (even if it has a scratch where you don't like) they will take it back no questions asked.

TAMRON 70-300MM F 4-5.6 SP DI VC USD A005 LENS FOR CANON EF MOUNT 62 - KEH Camera

Sweet thanks. With the Nikon mount they are a bit more in Excellent plus conditon

I just did a quick search and didn't pay attention to the mount. Sorry about that.

I've updated the link in my previous post for anyone else that may be interested.

Nikon is all time fav. 70-300 lenses is a more specified need. My suggestion is to not go full 300mm, doesnt matter which company product you are using; but rather control the mid range. It helps to maintain the clarity.

Its not the camera but the person behind the camera that matters!!

Amber Vira

I've had my 70-300 ED VR for several years and I love it. Oh, it wouldn't hurt if it were f:2.8, or even f:4 instead of 4.5-5.6, but I simply can't afford lenses with commas in the price, and I got mine new for under 500 4 or 5 years ago. My only previous "long" lens (recently anyway... we could go back to the 70-200 I had on my n8008......) was the 55-200 kit. That lens worked seemingly pretty well on the D50 it came with, but the higher-resolution sensor on the D5000 I upgraded to "back then" showed how bad that kit lens was, so I started shopping. I'm now on a D7000 (3 years now, and getting antsy! :) ) and still shooting wildlife, racing, air shows, sunsets, and whatever else with the 70-300. It's on the camera 80% of the time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back