Have you noticed the increase # of ppl with dSLR cameras?

I just bought a DSLR, I dont know what the hell I am doing. I can learn though, and I am a fast learner.

While I do see a lot of parents at my son's soccer games with DSLRs, who cares if they are only using auto. If they want to spend that much and not learn all their camera can do, so what.

There are a lot of benfits for them doing so
1) Camera manufacturers sell more profitable cameras and therefore have more money for R&D and/or lower prices by breaking even on a model sooner
2) The buyers may get more involved and start buying accessories
3) The buyer may actually realize they have an interest and start trying to learn what all their camera can do
4) They start to think it is a pain to lug that big camera around so they don't use it much and it ends up on on Ebay or Craigslist cheap

It's like chiding someone for buying a BMW when a Honda Accord would do the job just fine. We all want the best and if we can afford it, why not get it?

So let me get this right you all think that you have to be at a certain level before you can buy a DSLR . What gives you all the right to judge other people I garantee none of you are pro's or even semi pro yet you people make me laugh...................:lmao:

pro·fes·sion·al, (pro-fěsh'ə-nəl)
n.
  1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
  2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation
Yep, I think it's safe to say there are MANY professionals here. So laugh at yourself, cupcake, for your horrible use of ignorant vocabulary. I know I am.

FYI, I don't shoot for a living. However, I will defend those who do.

So let me get this right you all think that you have to be at a certain level before you can buy a DSLR . What gives you all the right to judge other people I garantee none of you are pro's or even semi pro yet you people make me laugh...................:lmao:

There actually are a lot of pros on this forum. I do agree that you don't have to be one to use a DSLR though.

Well I don't consider myself a pro but I bought a dSLR to have more control over my camera, since my P&S was limiting me with that. As the people buing dSLR's if you read my previous post, they shoot in AUTO, which the last time I checked doesn't give me any controll of the camera except the shutter. YOu don't have to be at a certain level to buy a DSLR but when you buy it you should know why you are buying it, and make sure its not because you saw people that have dslr's have nice pictures. It's all about technique. should I go on?
Welcome To Truth Hardware

n.
Yep, I think it's safe to say there are MANY professionals here. So laugh at yourself, cupcake, for your horrible use of ignorant vocabulary. I know I am.

A Man of a bast Vocabulary.

How did this spiral into snobbery, exactly?

Good lord, people.

I have only used a point and shoot all my life (and loved it). However, I had an 8.2mp (loved the camera) and it took pretty good pictures. I dropped it one day and the flash quit working. I took it to see about getting it fixed...can't do it. The battery door also broke during that drop and I was informed that it would cost $100 just to fix that. I paid over $400 for that camera.
At that point I started looking at the DSLR cameras and thought...you know what, the entry level one's are only a few hundred more than what I paid for my point and shoot a couple years ago...why not invest a little more in something that I could do so much more with once I learn how to work it?
That was my turning point.
I have no intention on ever becoming a pro, this is strickly a hobby because I love pictures and love to capture every moment. But it's a lot better knowing that those moments I catch will look better than the moments I caught years ago. :D

I don't know if it is just me, but when I go out on the roads, I've seen so many more people with SUVs and sports cars than few years back. Most of them just seem to be taking commuting to work.

Why is everyone so worried here about people having a dSLR? This thread has popped up at least 10 times in the year that I've been here. Simply put, a dSLR in auto mode will take a better quality shot than a lesser camera given the same person using it.

It is really getting pathetic why everyone is so bothered by what other people do and buy. How many people drive full size pickup trucks on this forum that has never gone off-road or hauled anything? How many people here drive sports cars at 50 mph down the road never utilizing the capabiltiy of a sports car? Pathetic.....

People would put up with film point-n-shoots because they took the photo when the button was pressed and they gave decent low light quality. There aren't many digital options that offer those besides DSLRs. When the camera manufacturers get those problems licked I think many folks will go back to more compact cameras.

How did this spiral into snobbery, exactly?.

A common aspect of being a noob is to put down noobs who are a few days noobier.

I wish I could find the links to articles about what it was like when Kodak introduced film pre-loaded in cameras in 1888. According to newspaper articles of the day suddenly everyone was a photographer, and the crowds of amateur photographers were often described as pesty. 120 years later nothing has changed. People just don't notice how many other folks are carrying cameras until they themselves get into carrying a camera.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is just me, but when I go to places like the sporting events, the beach, and just like... other cool places, I've seen so many more people with dSLR cameras then few years back. (maybe because they have become more affordable? or it's just gaining popularity?) Most of them just seem to be taking snapshots though.

:er:

what I sometimes do is just look what their camera is set to, most likely AUTO lol. And than I see them staring at me taking pictures and trying to shhot the same thing. And when they try to shoot it they look at their screen and not their head and see their fingers going to the delete button. lol

You're looking what other people have their cameras set to? When I'm shooting at an event or where there's other photographers around, I could care less about what they're doing. I'm there for photos, not showing off my ****.

I delete pictures. I'm still better than you.

lmao..it happens to me at the mall, on my lunch break i like to walk around and just randomly shoot **** and i see EVERYONE has an SLR around their necks, and a fanny pack. lmao

Fanny packs are still in.

I don't go to malls lol. I should make them look at me through their viewfinders and I'll have my 70-300 on at 300 and just stare back at them without movin. They'll probobly just leave lol

You're acting like a 70-300 is hot ****? If you said you had a 300 f/2.8L IS, then I wouldn't have pointed out this post.

This is why carrying a manual 35mm SLR in these situations is fun. No one notices you, or the people who do scoff at you because their D300 with 18-55mm kit lens has zoom AND automatic mode (I must just be a moron, right?).

If you really want to fly under the poseur radar, grab a TLR. Or a Holga. You'll get more interesting pictures than the DSLR yuppies anyway.

"Poseur radar"? Excuse me. Post the definition for "poseur", then google "emo" and "holga" in the same search.

I am from Chattanooga, and fluently commute between Here (Atlanta) and there, and between the two cities, I know of 9 people who have dSLR's. The D40 seems to be the most popular among all of them. 5 of them own D40's, 2 (including myself) own D60's, one owns a D300, and One owns a D50.

It's amazing, I am always the subject of conversation when I go out. Lots of people ask me questions about the camera.

Me too. I tell 'em I paid $50 for it at a pawn shop.

:thumbup:

Well I don't consider myself a pro but I bought a dSLR to have more control over my camera, since my P&S was limiting me with that. As the people buing dSLR's if you read my previous post, they shoot in AUTO, which the last time I checked doesn't give me any controll of the camera except the shutter. YOu don't have to be at a certain level to buy a DSLR but when you buy it you should know why you are buying it, and make sure its not because you saw people that have dslr's have nice pictures. It's all about technique. should I go on?

I see people with ferraris driving fast. I see people with in ground pools having fun. I see people with DSLR's taking good pictures.

I just bought a DSLR, I dont know what the hell I am doing. I can learn though, and I am a fast learner.

n.

So one day I followed a doctor around. Needless to say my friend never talked to me again after the botched brain surgery. Or any one for that matter....

How did this spiral into snobbery, exactly?

Good lord, people.

:hug::

I don't know if it is just me, but when I go out on the roads, I've seen so many more people with SUVs and sports cars than few years back. Most of them just seem to be taking commuting to work.

Why is everyone so worried here about people having a dSLR? This thread has popped up at least 10 times in the year that I've been here. Simply put, a dSLR in auto mode will take a better quality shot than a lesser camera given the same person using it.

It is really getting pathetic why everyone is so bothered by what other people do and buy. How many people drive full size pickup trucks on this forum that has never gone off-road or hauled anything? How many people here drive sports cars at 50 mph down the road never utilizing the capabiltiy of a sports car? Pathetic.....

You never saw me doing 167mph indicated up the interstate. But just because you didn't see me using the device for it's "intended" purpose doesn't mean I'm not going to go from shooting my girlfriend at the fair to shooting games for the Washington Capitals.

A common aspect of being a noob is to put down noobs who are a few days noobier.

I wish I could find the links to articles about what it was like when Kodak introduced film pre-loaded in cameras in 1888. According to newspaper articles of the day suddenly everyone was a photographer, and the crowds of amateur photographers were often described as pesty. 120 years later nothing has changed. People just don't notice how many other folks are carrying cameras until they themselves get into carrying a camera.

Hmmm... this is reminding me of my overphotoshopping thread. Not exactly the same thing, but a similar kind of response nonetheless.

Interesting.

Well, I suppose I could attempt to interject my usual comments about how it doesn't matter and everyone stop bickering, but that doesn't usually have an impact so I guess I'll let everyone continue to rip each other apart. :lol:

I would like to point out that I really thought this was more of a "huh, neat!" thread and not a "PFFT! HOW DARE THEY?!?!! THEY ARE NOT WORTHY!!!" thread. :mrgreen:

Its winter and I've noticed for many years that people get cranky on forums because there is not much to do. I know the car forums are full of this during the winter months. Everyone always suggest "get off the internet thugging and go work on your car to get it ready for the next race season". :lol:

I just want to get along with everyone. :hug:: :thumbup:

I don't see what the big fuss is about.... I keep my D300 locked in the sports auto mode(the one with the little picture of the guy running).

It gives my awesome pictures all the time.. plus it adds that sporty edge to all my images.... this is cool because I'm into sports...

3 simple syllables inspired me to snatch up my beloved D40.

shut-ter-lag

now im sure there are P&S cams out there that have a greatly reduced shutter lag, but my absolute FAVORITE feature of my 1970 sears roebuck slr was that when i pushed the button...it clicked.
i found i was missing so many shots with my, then advanced, sony dsc-s75. so when i stumbled across a great deal on a D40 package, i researched it, and jumped on it.
my photog pang has never been more satisfied.
im not a professional photog, but my profession does assist my photography.

of course the numbers of consumers with DSLRs are increasing...people like to have cool stuff, and the longer cool stuff is out, the more attainable it is to the general pop.
let's look back at tech history and recall some of those HIGHLY sought after pieces that became the norm...computers....oooooooo
CD players....ahhhhhhhhh
DVD....bluray...HD dvcams....MP3 players...

the list goes on.

and being one of average income with financial responsibilities....much like all of us here on tpf...i for one, like knowing that i too can eventually obtain some technology that may have been out of grasp prior.

Most reactions

Back