Hedgcoe DOF project

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Working on depth of field. I decided to leave the macro home and just use a 85mm 1.8g instead, nothing like making a little uncomfortable. The 85mm doesn't have any useful markings on the lens (never noticed it) to guide me like they do on my AI-S glass. Kind of irritating since I have been paying attention to it when I shoot film. Additionally, I had a the project list with pointers on the lens markings. So I made the most of it and focused on creamy dark backgrounds and circular bokeh spots. Hedgecoe was spot on in regards to bumping up that shutter speed, opening up the aperture, and spot meter for a creamy darker effect. Slower shutter speeds at larger apertures for circles. Pretty good lesson for me as this was a prime and I distance wasn't a factor like it is with macro lens.

1. D7200: f/2.8, 1/1000s, ISO 250, Spot metering, AF-S, Single point.
DSC_4333e.jpg

2. D7200: f/2.8, 1/160s, ISO 400, Spot, AF-S, single point
DSC_4297e.jpg

3. D7200: f/2.8, 1/160s, ISO 400, Spot, AF-S, single point
DSC_4296e.jpg

Nice work...you're making me think I need to start shopping on eBay.
Thanks. For what, the books? I bought them on Amazon.

Yes, and Amazon is even better, haha.

Are these cropped? I just got this lens and haven't played with it much, but I feel like it's close focusing isn't all that close. Might just be the difference between field of view between the D7200 and the D600, I guess.

Yes, and Amazon is even better, haha.

Are these cropped? I just got this lens and haven't played with it much, but I feel like it's close focusing isn't all that close. Might just be the difference between field of view between the D7200 and the D600, I guess.

Yes, cropped. Yes, the lens is not a close focus, about 2-1/2 feet. Pretty sharp lens though.

those are nice flower shots but....I thought it said hedgehog DOF project...

nice creamy, smooth background and excellent color rendition on your 85mm lens.

I love the 85-135mm range for accurate image rendition. Reason I always try to bring my 80-200 with me.

Quite successful work on the flowers I would say. It's nice to see the Hedgecoe book excerpts photographs. He had a real way with examples and photos to illustrate the concepts. As Gary mentioned above, you are an amazing student of photography. I can hardly imagine a more enthusiastic student than you. All three of the photos you shot at F 2.8 are good, solid examples of how to handle a subject like this, and how to utilize limited depth of field at close distance. Very good work and artistically pleasing as well.

nice creamy, smooth background and excellent color rendition on your 85mm lens.

I love the 85-135mm range for accurate image rendition. Reason I always try to bring my 80-200 with me.
Thanks bud.

Quite successful work on the flowers I would say. It's nice to see the Hedgecoe book excerpts photographs. He had a real way with examples and photos to illustrate the concepts. As Gary mentioned above, you are an amazing student of photography. I can hardly imagine a more enthusiastic student than you. All three of the photos you shot at F 2.8 are good, solid examples of how to handle a subject like this, and how to utilize limited depth of field at close distance. Very good work and artistically pleasing as well.
Thanks Derrel. The books are laid out in a way that makes sense to me. His words are concise and not fancy. The pictures confirm his instruction. I also like the natural progression of his teaching. The technical data in the back of the books are off the charts, they are like hidden secrets. Here is a great example from his original, Complete Photography Course. It's a nice cheat seat when self evaluation or at least for me.

1483810125488.jpg

1483810139842.jpg

I agree with everything you write. There is a reason I continue to recommend his many books. I truly think that he hit upon an almost perfect way to teach practical photography in book form.

Most reactions

Back