Hedgcoe DOF project

@jcdeboever I'm fuzzy on what you're doing here. I understand DOF as relates to aperture and distance to the subject, and how the shape of the aperture has an influence on the subjective quality of bokeh but the high/slow shutter speed is confusing me?

@jcdeboever I'm fuzzy on what you're doing here. I understand DOF as relates to aperture and distance to the subject, and how the shape of the aperture has an influence on the subjective quality of bokeh but the high/slow shutter speed is confusing me?
Keep in mind all these were shot at f/2.8... Spot metering.

The faster shutter speed let's in less light and allows for darker and smoother rendition of the backfield. Provides greater latitude in post to darken or separate the main subject.

The slower shutter speed allows more light or brighter backfields which tend to render the shape of the aperture and in the case (#3) round circles for the brighter things in the backfield.

In less than desirable light conditions, increasing the ISO will enable you to achieve the faster shutter speeds. Probably a good idea to figure out what you deem as an acceptable ISO level (noise) for your camera.

The faster shutter speed let's in less light and allows for darker and smoother rendition of the backfield. Provides greater latitude in post to darken or separate the main subject.

Ok, so this is ambient light only? Correct? I'm still confused on the circles though, wouldn't they be more polygonal, as opposed to circles, reflecting the shape of the aperture?

Ok, so this is ambient light only? Correct? I'm still confused on the circles though, wouldn't they be more polygonal, as opposed to circles, reflecting the shape of the aperture?

Yes ambient.
I think the shape varies depending on lens design and shape of aperture. I only had the one lens with me on purpose. The project showed me how I can pre-visualize two additional conditions in the creative process, moving forward. The shape can easily be seen by looking at the aperture blades of a lens.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that the polygonal aperture shape tends to show up the most at the smallest and the mid apertures. At the widest aperture values like F2 or F 2.8 or even if 3.5, in most situations the out-of-focus areas tend to obscure the aperture shape, but as the lens is stopped down to the mid-range and beyond, the diaphragm shape can often reveal itself very clearly.

Another thing, a recent development, is that the newest Sony sensors allow wild degrees of underexposure and then software correction without terrible noise in the shadows. The D 7200 has one of the best sensors in a crop body Nikon for this type of under exposure and then later correction.

Over the last decade Nikon has begun emphasizing a 9-bladed, rounded aperture in many of its better lenses. This is very different from older lenses with seven blades, and sharply-angled sides to the aperture opening. However at very close ranges like this the diaphragm shape will often be obscured unless there are pinpoint sources of light that are out of focus. Point light sources can create the so-called " bokeh balls

I love the Hedgecoe books too. As JC stated, he goes in great detail, though simple to understand for the average photographer. On that one page(s) JC shows I believe Hedgecoe also reviews the difference between focal lengths for DOF/OOF and how it affect the image.

His illustration showing the depth of field characteristics of the 135 millimeter, the 50 millimeter, and the 28 millimeter lens is excellent. He did a great job also showing how one can get the same size person in a frame, but have two distinctly different types of background rendering. Clear, simple illustrations like that are often severely lacking in today's YouTube world.

Hedgecoe is the author whose books taught me a lot of camera-handling techniques, but I did not have much lighting gear, and did not have the modifiers to do the more advanced lighting stuff until years later. Kind of a shame, really.

I think you're getting to a point where your base-level skill set will soon make you into a runaway snowball coming down a mountainside.

His illustration showing the depth of field characteristics of the 135 millimeter, the 50 millimeter, and the 28 millimeter lens is excellent. He did a great job also showing how one can get the same size person in a frame, but have two distinctly different types of background rendering. Clear, simple illustrations like that are often severely lacking in today's YouTube world.

Hedgecoe is the author whose books taught me a lot of camera-handling techniques, but I did not have much lighting gear, and did not have the modifiers to do the more advanced lighting stuff until years later. Kind of a shame, really.

I think you're getting to a point where your base-level skill set will soon make you into a runaway snowball coming down a mountainside.
Thanks. Here is a sneak peak at my next project. I just have to develop the film but a little under the weather today.

1483825640340.jpg

1483825648859.jpg

Better image of project
1483825856325.jpg

Thanks. Here is a sneak peak at my next project. I just have to develop the film but a little under the weather today.

View attachment 132837

View attachment 132838
In and around the UM campus you'll find a lot of architecture especially the old churches and old UM buildings like the Law library, Union, etc. Some building you can contrast in the same image of a new and old architecture. Great place for shooting and close for such a diverse shooting environment.

View attachment 132837

View attachment 132838
In and around the UM campus you'll find a lot of architecture especially the old churches and old UM buildings like the Law library, Union, etc. Some building you can contrast in the same image of a new and old architecture. Great place for shooting and close for such a diverse shooting environment.
Lol, actually that is exactly where I went for this project last weekend! I then finished the project in Downtown Detroit. Shot a total of 36 exposures in B & W and 12 for color. It's easier with film because you have to slow down.

Shot a total of 36 exposures in B & W and 12 for color. It's easier with film because you have to slow down.
Get a much smaller SD memory card ... and slow down.
LOL
It's just much easier to take shot after shot after shot with digital. But it doesn't mean you can't slow down and think more before you take the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back