Help choosing a camera.

Im new to DSLR photography but from all my research having a few more megapixels, once you have that many, really doesnt make a difference. Its not like we are shooting with 4 mp cameras. 10, 15, 18- doesnt matter. More mp allow you to blow an image up larger but dont necessarily make for a better looking photo. Dont buy a camera just because it has more.

I just bought the T1i. Its my first DSLR. I have seen photos from other people that are above and beyond what I can hope I will ever do- taken with this camera. I just couldnt see spending an extra few hundred bucks on the T2i (or other options) knowing that with the right lenses and photographer- this camera can do everything I would want to do.

If I had more $$ would I have bought a different camera? yes. but for the time being- meaning the next 5 years- this one is plenty. I will put the $ I would have spent on more camera, into more lenses. In my readings- lenses are FAR more important than the camera.

Good luck to you!!

I agree with you that you need a lot of info to make an informed camera purchase, but I think you're chasing down the wrong kind of information. I mean, in the hands of an amateur a $7,000 Nikon D3x with the best lens on the market won't produce better photos than a Panasonic LX3 point & shoot camera in the hands of a professional and artist.

The question you should be asking isn't which camera do I need in order to get the same quality of photos as those produced by the pros, but what photography knowledge do I need. If you have that knowledge, the camera won't matter as much.

Before buying a camera, I would strongly suggest spending money on the following three items: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279488306&sr=1-7"]This[/ame], and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Kelbys-Digital-Photography-Volumes/dp/0321678737/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279488306&sr=1-8"]this[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-Creatively-Composition-Photography/dp/0817441816/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279488446&sr=1-15"]this[/ame]. Considering you are unemployed and obviously want to make the most of your $1,500, you can use the above three items as a test, so to speak. If, after buying them, you can't be bothered to get through reading them, then maybe you'd be best off starting out with a used DSLR and a kit lens. Why waste a bunch of money on something you're not serious about, right?

For what its worth, I did this very same test myself. I held off buying my first DSLR all winter while I ready through these books.

Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

Do you have any shots from the Nikon that I can check out? Or a lens preference? I really need a lot of info since I'm new, and especially since I'll be spending so much. Thanks for the comment!

As Opher said, any current dSLR will produce the images you want. But for crying out loud, you don't have a job and you are spending $1500 on a camera and then you upped your budget to $2400? In Canada, the 24-105 L sells for about $1500 before tax and even if you can get it used, it will be over $1000. Are you looking at doing photography professionally? You need to know up front, there is no cheap solution to do everything you'll ever want your camera to do. Start with a good basic kit and build from there... over time as you need it.

I am going on vacation for a month so NO I don't have a job at the moment. Hands down, I need some money for while I'm on vacation, and I have $2400 to spend for the vacation AND the camera. Not just the camera. I wouldn't mind going into photography or doing it as a hobby. I love photography but just never had the money to get into it. So just wondering, would this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T2i-Digital-3-0-Inch-18-55mm/dp/B0035FZJHQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279485378&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS…[/ame]

produce better quality pictures since it has 3 more mp than the other one? And would it be worth buying?

Nope. Better quality pictures are produced by the photographer, not the camera (for the most part). As Ansel Adams once said (I paraphrase), "The most important piece of photography equipment is 12" behind the viewfinder." ;)

Here's a picture for you. I'm very pleased with it. I've blown it up to 24 x 36 and had it framed. My buddy has it hanging up in his house and will buy it if I ever ask for it back (he's storing it for me since I don't have the room). It was taken with a $150.00, 5 year old, 5 megapixel Panasonic point & shoot camera.

BWGrainElevatorsSky-Edit-3.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's a picture for you. I'm very pleased with it. I've blown it up to 24 x 36 and had it framed. My buddy has it hanging up in his house and will buy it if I ever ask for it back (he's storing it for me since I don't have the room). It was taken with a $150.00, 5 year old, 5 megapixel Panasonic point & shoot camera.

BWGrainElevatorsSky-Edit-3.jpg

I couldn't agree more. Here's a pic my wife took with our 6 yr old 5 MP Panasonic P&S. We also have this as a large print hanging in our house.
0utaf9
Of course that camera cost about $600 when we bought it, but a current, similar model would be about $250.

Sorry everyone I didn't notice there was a second page to this. As for the photography, I am quite serious about it. And I wouldn't mind getting the books, but since I'm leaving soon, I want to be able to experiment with it. And LazyPhotographer, you're absolutely right, and I agree about the information I need. So do you think I should just get this then?

Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body) 3818B001 -

And what lenses would all of you recommend? I want to do MacroPhotography later, but right now, for sightseeing and pictures with people, what do you recommend? Thanks for all of your inputs, the knowledge is extremely valuable.

Honestly, since you don't need video, I would even suggest the Rebel XS with the 18-55mm kit lens. It has no video and it's a very capable cam that will get better as you get better and your glass gets better.

Honestly, since you don't need video, I would even suggest the Rebel XS with the 18-55mm kit lens. It has no video and it's a very capable cam that will get better as you get better and your glass gets better.

I wouldn't mind having the video. I just heard having video in a camera makes it less capable of shooting in higher quality. Basically instead of having video, I could spend either less and get just a camera, or one with video and pay more or decrease the capabilities the camera has. Sorry if I made that too complicated, I suck at explaining things. xP

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's not true. The point I'm trying to make is this; you've put the cart so far in front of the horse that you can't even see it anymore. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to slow down and think about some things.

1. Don't worry about what any of us have for lenses. We own the lenses that we need for the type of shooting we do as individuals. My set up works for me, but wouldn't necessarily work for you or anyone else here. Likewise, oldmacman's set up works for him. For me, maybe not so much. And I can say the same about everyone on this forum.

2. You're trying to run full speed ahead before you've learned to walk. There is a very steep learning curve that will be filled with frustration. Better gear will not lessen this, and in fact can make it worse. Better gear is less forgiving and requires more skill and knowledge to use to it's full potential.

3. Any entry level SLR with good glass will take great pics and get you a long way down the road once you know how to use it and understand the mechanics behind photography. No camera, no matter how expensive, will get you even decent pics if you don't know how to use it, or understand the fundamentals of photography.

Get a Rebel, or Nikon entry level, with the kit lens or lenses (there are kits available with one or two lenses), and a speed light. Play around with that to start learning. While your playing around with that, do the suggested reading, as well as reading the manual. When you start needing better glass because you've improved and you understand how cameras and photography work, you'll have figured out what types of pics you want to take that you can't with the lenses you have. That's when you start looking into Macros, fast primes, etc.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but it's not true. The point I'm trying to make is this; you've put the cart so far in front of the horse that you can't even see it anymore. I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to slow down and think about some things.

1. Don't worry about what any of us have for lenses. We own the lenses that we need for the type of shooting we do as individuals. My set up works for me, but wouldn't necessarily work for you or anyone else here. Likewise, oldmacman's set up works for him. For me, maybe not so much. And I can say the same about everyone on this forum.

2. You're trying to run full speed ahead before you've learned to walk. There is a very steep learning curve that will be filled with frustration. Better gear will not lessen this, and in fact can make it worse. Better gear is less forgiving and requires more skill and knowledge to use to it's full potential.

3. Any entry level SLR with good glass will take great pics and get you a long way down the road once you know how to use it and understand the mechanics behind photography. No camera, no matter how expensive, will get you even decent pics if you don't know how to use it, or understand the fundamentals of photography.

Get a Rebel, or Nikon entry level, with the kit lens or lenses (there are kits available with one or two lenses). Play around with that to start learning. While your playing around with that, do the suggested reading, as well as reading the manual. When you start needing better glass because you've improved and you understand how cameras and photography work, you'll have figured out what types of pics you want to take that you can't with the lenses you have. That's when you start looking into Macros, fast primes, etc.

Consider it done. =] I love CC I really do and you're helping me out here more than you might think. If I got a rebel, what lenses would you recommend me if I'm shooting like outdoors, beaches, wildlife, or just pics with friends? Again, seriously thank you SO much!

Earlier, someone recommended this. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397662-USA/Canon_0344B002AA_24_105mm_f_4L_IS_USM.html#reviews

What do you think?

I think most camera have video now. And I havent heard that having video means less quality stills- but I have heard the stills you take with video cameras that have the option are not good.

am I allowed to post websites here? This is a friend of mine-

Ballad's Photography Wedding and Portrait Photographer

and they were all taken with the t1i.

the kit lens that comes with the rebel- is pretty all-around. like subscuck said- wait till you get more specific on what you want pics of to buy more lenses. Just use the kit lens it comes with for now.

That's far more lens than you need right now. L series lenses are pro lenses. As a beginner, probably shooting in auto at first, you'll never get out of that lens what it has to offer. That's a lens to buy way down the road when you can actually justify owning it.

Like I said, go to B&H and look at the kits available for the XS and T1i. Some of them are one lens kits, the very decent 18-55mm IS, and some are two lens kits, the 18-55 IS and 55-250mm IS. That's more than enough for you to start with. Get a speedlight (430EX II will be fine to start with) and a couple or three SD cards and you'll have enough equipment to get you through the learning curve.

Okay, one of the last questions I have then is this. I really like the sleek design of the Canon Ti2 and the fact that it shoots nice video so I'm leaning towards that instead of the Ti1. Would you recommend this as a package deal for it?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035FZJHQ/ref=cm_rdp_product]Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS…[/ame]

They have 3 left. lol Also, as for the speedlight, what exactly are those for? Again sorry for my noobiness.

You can get that kit at B&H for $127 less. For $1,100 at B&H, you can get the T1i with 18-55 and 55-250. Amazon's OK sometimes, but they aren't a camera store and can't really help you much after purchase, other than to exchange it. B&H is one of the most respected camera stores around. They have an actual bricks and mortar store in NYC, and their customer service during, and after your purchase are outstanding.

A speedlight is a flash unit. The built in pop up flash on the camera is about worthless.

Most reactions

Back