Help choosing a camera.

Okay um, is there any way I can get the Ti2 and still get the kit for $127 less? Or do you mean the T1i and the kit for $127 less? Sorry I really have my mind set on this Ti2. I've got extra money coming in. Sold my old video camera. Was pretty bad anyway.

Would that be a good starting point or do you recommend a different lens? Or anything else? Also, could you provide that link because I think they're out of that package deal. Thank you again and again!

Actually, I just noticed Amazon has the T1i with both kit lenses for $900 and it's in stock. That's the way I'd go. That's a good deal, and there is so little difference between the T1i and T2i. And remember, cams never come with memory, so you'll need to buy a couple SD cards also. Memory's cheap these days.

Actually, I just noticed Amazon has the T1i with both kit lenses for $900 and it's in stock. That's the way I'd go. That's a good deal, and there is so little difference between the T1i and T2i. And remember, cams never come with memory, so you'll need to buy a couple SD cards also. Memory's cheap these days.

I'm stuck on the T2i though. =[ I can't help it, I like the screen too much.

And as you just mentioned, B&H have much more experience and quality right?

I know, I just kind of hook myself on those kinds of things. There are a few more things I've read about the T2i that I like. Lets say I got the T2i, what lenses should I get with it? And as you said, get the Speedlight too right?

Once again, I'll be using it for pictures of the beach, Riverwalk in San Antonio, scenery, and people. I can get more than one lens if need be.

Last edited:
Order the kit and it will come with the 18-55mm IS, and if you want get the EF-S 55-250mm IS to go with it. That'll be a good starting point. I highly recommend a speedlight, but that's up to you. Just be aware pop up flashes are garbage. And you'll need memory.

Order the kit and it will come with the 18-55mm IS, and if you want get the EF-S 55-250mm IS to go with it. That'll be a good starting point. I highly recommend a speedlight, but that's up to you. Just be aware pop up flashes are garbage. And you'll need memory.

Awesome, thank you for all of your help! I'd have gotten no where if it wasn't for all of you. If you have any details you'd like to add or help me with, feel free to message me or post here. Thanks a million!

I'm stuck on the T2i though. =[ I can't help it, I like the screen too much.

And as you just mentioned, B&H have much more experience and quality right?

If you're stuck on the T2i, then buy it, but just remember that more megapixels does not equal better image quality. With everything else being equal (they never are), a 12 meg sensor should theoretically produce a better IQ than an 18 meg sensor of the same size. Cramming more pixels into a small sensor can hurt the image quality. As for LCD displays, the one on the T1i is pretty much the same as the T2i's -- at least close enough you'd never be able to tell the difference.

With your purposes and experience level in mind I feel you are spending double the money you need to in order to get the kind of photos you're trying to get.

Here's what I'd suggest: rent a camera and lens package for your vacation, buy the books I recommended, read them, and then make a more educated purchase decision down the road. Who knows, by then you might even have a job. But if you can't wait, then buy something from last year with a kit lens. Oh, and expect to be very frustrated and confused until you get to read those books and the manual.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Awesome, thank you for all of your help! I'd have gotten no where if it wasn't for all of you. If you have any details you'd like to add or help me with, feel free to message me or post here. Thanks a million!:p

Just to be sure, these lenses and this light right?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585950-GREY/Canon_2042B002WB_EF_S_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002AA_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=kitInfo&Q=&sku=571297&is=USA

DON'T limit yourself to Canon. Nikon makes fantastic products, as does Sony, Olympus, and Pentax.

Believe me Swiss, I'll be spending ALOT of time using it. Looking at tutorials, reading, etc. Which is why I'd like a second or third lens for better shots in different environments.

Is the speedlight worth it? I mean, will I use it a lot? In which circumstances will I need it?

Let your purchases be driven by what you actually need, not by what you guess you might need at some point. The speedlight will still be sitting on some store shelf when the time comes you actually feel you know your camera enough and photography enough to make use of it. Same goes for extra lenses. Unless, of course, you're made of money, then spend like Bill Gates. :)

Most reactions

Back