Help, D80 got wet

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the weekend I was at the race track. The skies opened up and I got soaked. I tried to cover the D80 but I couldn't keep it dry. Now the flash wont pop up and its firing with it in the down position. What to do?

Over the weekend I was at the race track. The skies opened up and I got soaked. I tried to cover the D80 but I couldn't keep it dry. Now the flash wont pop up and its firing with it in the down position. What to do?

I wouldn't mess with it. Take it to a pro.

yah if its not poping up and is firing whilst down then the electices are damaged - the camera should detect that the flash is not up and not fire.
I agree - make sure that its totally dry (sometimes this clears things) and then take it to a pro repaire centre - ask in a local camera shop there is bound to be somewhere local that does this

When something like this happens you should avoid powering it up until it has fully dried out

I would pull the battery and let it sit in a warm dry place for a few days. I would consider packing it in uncooked rice to help draw any moisture out of it. If it still misbehaves after this then it needs to go see the professionals.

I bought one of these for my Film camera a few years ago and now use it on my Digital and I have been out in some horrid weather with it.

PHOTO_YELLOW_SLR.jpg

http://stormjacket.com/

At the time it seemed a little overpriced for what I was getting but it has saved me in situations like yours more than once.

Good luck!

DOH! Yeah let it dry out for a few days. If it's still not acting properly, you'll have to send it back to Nikon for a repair estimate. Usually they're pretty reasonable on repairs. I've heard of some pretty beat up cameras coming back in pristine shape for must a few hundred dollars. Nothing like 'you-might-as-well-buy-a-whole-new-camera' like in other aspects of consumer electronics.

I agree with Dweller. Take the battery out and, let it dry out. It does sound as though the flash itself got invaded through the hinge area though. But I would send it to Nikon for repairs though. You never know how wet the inside actually got.

Just a thought on the stormjacket...I carry an army surplus rain poncho and a couple gallon ziplocks with holes cut out to the width of my lens hoods and that works pretty well when I get caught in a surprise rain...but if I went out in the rain on purpose I might invest in a legit cover. I've heard of pros who still use trash bags and duct tape in emergencies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back