SB-800 Problems

b.rett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fairlessfotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I recently got a Nikon SB-800 flash and while I love it I've been having a slight issue. I'm using it on a Nikon D80 and when the flash is connected, I'm not able to set the shutter speed above 200. I'm not sure how to fix this and I've tried a bunch of different settings but nothing seems to do it. I'm sure that there's a way to fix this and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this. Thanks alot,

~brett

Unfortunately, this is not fixable. The flash sync speed of the D80 is 1/200 second. That's the fastest speed at which the D80 can be used with flash. For more information, search up "flash sync speed".

wow, i had no idea. thanks alot for the info.. it seems strange to me that this is the case but oh well. what camera would have a better sync speed?

Nikon D40, D70/s and D50 all have a sync speed of 1/500th

The Nikon D80 should support FP syncing with the SB-800. I don't have a copy of the manual here at the moment but on the D200 it's set under the Custom Setting e1 "Flash Sync Speed" which should be able to be set to 1/200th (FP Sync) in stead of 1/200th. The downside is you sacrifice maximum flash power beyond 1/200 as the flash needs to pulse light in stages.

The Nikon D80 should support FP syncing with the SB-800. I don't have a copy of the manual here at the moment but on the D200 it's set under the Custom Setting e1 "Flash Sync Speed" which should be able to be set to 1/200th (FP Sync) in stead of 1/200th. The downside is you sacrifice maximum flash power beyond 1/200 as the flash needs to pulse light in stages.
Custom setting #25 (page 98 of the D80 User Manual).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back