HELP HELP HELP! product photography

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to shoot this "gadget" which i had to put on hiatus without my tripod at work. I've put up a photo of what i'm using for lighting [i konw, it's a joke, but it's what i have to work with]. Anyway, i'm asking for any one's help to push this photo and make it more sexy/interesting to look at b/c it's kind of a dull object but has a lot of surface textures that i don't feel i'm pulling out. As you can see, i'm using red and blue gels b/c it's an emergency item. The big lamp infront i created a make-shift snoot to taper the light down, but i had to toss that canvas bag on the table b/c the light was shining through the paper snoot onto the silver case and ruining the effect. So you guys have 24 hours to help me make this thing look way better! [and don't say go buy real lights-its not in question]

evis.jpg

evisShoot.jpg

hard light from the far side brings out texture.

i would try and have light go through the E. It looks like it can. See if it cant show up on the paper below it. I think that would be sexy for this item

that would be rad...but, it's just a reflective vinyal inlay on solid steel.

I think perhaps the snooted light is giving you too harsh a light from a relatively small source. I'd try to get the light closer and shoot through a larger piece of tracing paper or other diffusion material. If the light spills onto the backdrop you could try gobo'ing most of the light, adding more diffusion material or bringing the background lights in closer. Doing that should give you better specularity on the stainless i would think.

As for composing the "gadget" I would maybe have it shown at an angle to emphasise that it hinges, it took me a sec to realise from the image shown.

Could you even try having the silver material it's sitting on under the glass, or try a black material under the glass.. it'll give it a nice reflection maybe?

Results don't look too bad though, pretty good results for the lights and stuff.

nice setup. very creative

I think perhaps the snooted light is giving you too harsh a light from a relatively small source. I'd try to get the light closer and shoot through a larger piece of tracing paper or other diffusion material. If the light spills onto the backdrop you could try gobo'ing most of the light, adding more diffusion material or bringing the background lights in closer. Doing that should give you better specularity on the stainless i would think.

As for composing the "gadget" I would maybe have it shown at an angle to emphasise that it hinges, it took me a sec to realise from the image shown.

Could you even try having the silver material it's sitting on under the glass, or try a black material under the glass.. it'll give it a nice reflection maybe?

Results don't look too bad though, pretty good results for the lights and stuff.

thanks bud! i'll give that a shot...good point. The issue with turning it to a side is it doesn't stand well on it's own, hence the mug behind it-that was to prop it up...i'll have to jig something to kep it upright on its own. I'll consider the glass idea-depends on if that glass is even removable.

nice setup. very creative

thanks man! I've worked with a photographer quite a few times and learned a lot by observing his lighting techniques.

Speaking of which, he stopped in our office today and i aske him to check out my delima, he recommended making a bounce card with a hole in the center for the camera and shooting it that way

Speaking of which, he stopped in our office today and i aske him to check out my delima, he recommended making a bounce card with a hole in the center for the camera and shooting it that way

If you do this post a set up shot if you don't mind, I'd be interested to see it and how well it works, sounds interesting in a sort of small product "on the go" ringlight sort of thing (if that's the general idea?!)

Well, i'm back kids! thanks fore everyone's help. Having a tripod really did me some good, b/c I was able to incorporate a bounce card in many of the shots for fill light. I didn't "shot through" the bounce like the photo guru I know told me to, but I think everything came out really nice! The only thing that changed from my original "studio pic" was i removed the bag, and put a dark towel over the front of the light so it would no longer bounce off the silver case in the background. Looking through the camera on a tripod, allowed me to position the snooted lamp much better. I also reduced the effect of the yellow tungston bulb utilizing the cameras "white balance."

evis1.jpg

evis2.jpg

evis3.jpg

I like the colours in the background. It's more interesting than the typical boring white background.

The only thing I'd suggest is either using a wider aperture or somehow making the background more in the distance. Particularly in the third shot, the top of the product blends with the background too much.

thank you! Yes, as you can see, i was a bit limited with my set up. I guess i should have thought to move the item forward more in shot 3, thus placing the top corner in that dark blue section

How about some post-processing? Just experimenting... :)

evis2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back