Help in choosing lens for EOS

nickb98c

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have been looking at purchasing a new lens to open new possibilities. I currently have the EOS XS, with the standard 18-75 lens. I have been looking at both wide angle lens and telephoto lens. What would be the best choice? I know canon has a 75-300, but there are mixed reviews. I know you get what you pay for, but I would like to keep the cost down. That said, I am willing to spend more than the very basic lens. I want something that will last a while without my wanting to replace it 2 years from now. Any pointers? Brands to watch out for? In the telephoto department, I am looking for atleast a 200mm zoom. Nothing less. And for the wide, I would like a higher speed for low light shots.

Thanks for any help in advance.

In the telephoto department, I am looking for atleast a 200mm zoom. Nothing less. And for the wide, I would like a higher speed for low light shots.

EF 70-200mm F/2.8 USM

I would like to stay under the $300 limit, but I would like to spend as least as possible. I shoot a lot of sport climbing action shots, and would really benefit from the wide screen. I also like to shoot landscapes. The zoom would be more for general purpose when I need to get in tight to what ever the subject is.

I think for a budget of $300, it is not possible to find a fast telephoto lens.

For wide angle, the lens that shipped with your camera should do the job. As for the telephoto zoom, the only decent lens from Canon that fit your budget and is the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.

Review of the lens

its not $300, but its closer to what dao first suggested, and thats to take a look at the tamron and sigma versions of the 70-200mm 2.8. both have their pluses and minuses, but both seem to get good reviews. the gist of what i get from their reviews is that if you want optical quality go with the tamron, and if af speed is more important go with the sigma.

sadly, you're still looking at twice your budget, but either should last you for a while.

yet another option, which i had used for a while before i upgraded, was the tamron 75-300mm 4-5.6. i paid $130 for it new early last year, and its now at $124 on amazon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005V8R8/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

its not going to work well in low light, but i enjoyed it and was one of my most used lenses while outside.

Does nobody read stickies anymore? Don't just ask for a lens...give ways you'll use it and it's best to expect realistic prices. For $300 you won't get too much worthwhile. Bump it to $400 and there are a few possibilities but I'd say start at $500

Does nobody read stickies anymore? Don't just ask for a lens...give ways you'll use it and it's best to expect realistic prices. For $300 you won't get too much worthwhile. Bump it to $400 and there are a few possibilities but I'd say start at $500
It is a proven fact stickies have never worked as intened.

They only work when imbedded in a thread by a replier, which you didn't do. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back