TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I recently had a birthday and got some cash from my kind relatives so I am considering a new lens purchase but have run into a bit of a dilemma.

I currently have a canon 7D mk 1 and use 3 lenses most of the time, my 13 year old 28-105mm f3.5 -5.6 (which is my walk around lens), my similar aged 70-300mm f4-5.6 and a much younger 18-55mm kit lens with a broken motor (that I use for wide angle stuff). My main interests are shooting landscapes and then wildlife.

I've got £250 burning a hole in my pocket and three options.

1. Save up an extra £100 or so and get the Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS which I've seen advertised for £350 new if I'm careful about where I buy it from (second hand prices for this lens seem really high)

2. Get a second hand Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS mk1 which I recon I could get for around £170 and put the left over cash it saving for another lens

3. Just blow the lot on a second hand sigma 10-20mm UWA.

I'm struggling to choose between these three options so was hoping I could get a bit of help to decide?

UWAs are great for landscape photography. I love mine.

Thanks mate. That UWA really appeals to me however I am a bit unsure if the extra 5 mm it provides over the 15 - 85mm at the wide end is really worth the extra cost. I think the 15 - 85mm would probably be the most versitile with a lens thats almost as sharp as L glass. I'll maybe see if I can pop into a camera store today and try it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back