Help with action photos!

Mommypics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! I am a total beginner! My daughter does competative cheer and I have tried (unsuccessfully) quite a few times to take pics at the competitions. They always come out blurry, with strange colors streaks. I am trying to use the "sport" mode (since they are jumping and flipping). I was told to change my ISO, which I did, but that didn't work. Help...I'm so lost :lmao::(

Can you post some examples (preferably with exif data as well)? That would help tremendously with any advise we have to offer. Right of the bat, I'm thinking that your shutter speed probably isn't fast enough.

Are you shooting at night? Are you shooting with a fast lens? What does your shutter speed look like?

To quote Bryan Petersons Understanding Exposure:

When you want to freeze any moving subject, you need to consider three factors: The distance between you and the subject, the direction in which the subject is moving and your lens choice. First determine how far you are from the action. Ten feet? One hundred feet? The closer you are to the action, the faster the shutter speed must be. Next determine if the action is moving toward or away from you. Then decide which lens is the most appropriate one.

For example, if you were photographing a bronco rider at a distance of ten to twenty feet with a wide angle lens, you have to use a shutter speed of 1/500 sec. to freeze the action. If you were at a distance of one hundred feet with a wide angle or normal lens, his size and motion would diminish considerably, so a shutter speed of 1/125 sec. would be sufficient. If you were at a distance of fifty feet with a 200mm telephoto lens, 1/500 sec. would be necessary (just as if you were ten feet from the action). Finally, you'd need a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec. if the bronco rider were moving parallel to you and filled the frame either through your lens or your ability to physically close.

I wonder how many questions here I could answer with a direct quote from this book?

Not to be rude. Sorry. Basically, you need to keep your shutter speed up. Anywhere from 1/250 to 1/1600. Shutter priority (S on nikons don't know on canons) mode will help with this. If you're shooting at night, or really any time with poor light, good luck.

I am trying to post the pic, but when I click on the little "Insert Image" button it just dings at me. Sorry...newbie here :confused:

I am usally about 10 to 15 feet away (in the stands as they are on the floor). The lighting is usually not great (it is indoors). So I will check my shutter speed and do some practice runs with it in a similar lighting/distance situation. Thank you so much for your help. Again, I am a TOTAL beginner. I take some great portraits when my subject is sitting or standing there smiling at me and taking direction, but these action types shots are killing me. Thanks again! This site is awesome!:thumbup:

I am trying to post the pic, but when I click on the little "Insert Image" button it just dings at me. Sorry...newbie here :confused:
You'll probably need to host it elsewhere and post it here using the
tags.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html

You will prob want to shoot wide open (lower the F/ number) and increase the iso while using a higher shutter speed. or as mentioned before put it in shutter priority (Tv mode in canon world) when shooting. pretty broad advise and basic, but we can't tell you much without knowing the exif data or seeing pics. :S

Most reactions

New Topics

Back