Help with buying a UV Filter

martins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently looking at buying a 52mm Hoya Multi-Coated UV filter but dont really understand what the F number is. I can order F18, F24, F46, or F91. Can someone tell me what that all means?

I am currently looking at buying a 52mm Hoya Multi-Coated UV filter but dont really understand what the F number is. I can order F18, F24, F46, or F91. Can someone tell me what that all means?
I never heard of that designator. Where did you see it?

I can't see eBay from work, but if someone could explain that when they do get an answer, I'd be interested to know myself.

A multi-coated filter is supposed to reduce internal reflections which degrade image quality. The quick filter test by the way is to hold the filter in front of you and look at the "reflection" of a light or something bright behind you. A very weak reflection denotes a filter that will be better in reducing the internal reflections that reduce quality.

The Hoya Pro 1 is also supposed to actually reduce the haze in the distance of a landscape shot but of course whether that is accurate or just advertising talk is rather difficult to fathom.

skieur

A multi-coated filter is supposed to reduce internal reflections which degrade image quality. The quick filter test by the way is to hold the filter in front of you and look at the "reflection" of a light or something bright behind you. A very weak reflection denotes a filter that will be better in reducing the internal reflections that reduce quality.

The Hoya Pro 1 is also supposed to actually reduce the haze in the distance of a landscape shot but of course whether that is accurate or just advertising talk is rather difficult to fathom.

skieur
True, but none of that has anything to do with the F-numbers quoted by the OP. I went to the Hoya web site and they're not there.

So can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a UV filter? What brands to stay away from and what brands people are using.

What is also a skylight filter?

For filters, I go B&H Photo (clicky on upper right).

I search for "B&W XXmm MRC" - the "XX" being 52, "MRC" being multi coated.

I know they also have Hoya, but I'm not familiar with how they name their filters.

Here is result for B&W. The $29.95 looks like what you need - 52mm 010 UV Filter MRC (somethign like that). Not sure why the price is so low though. I thought all of these were in the $80-$100 range. Maybe 52mm cheaper to make?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fworkaround.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=B%26W+52mm+mrc&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fworkaround.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=20&Go.y=13

So can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a UV filter? What brands to stay away from and what brands people are using.

What is also a skylight filter?
Nikon, Hoya and B&W are all good brands. Within the Hoya line, there are several versions, the highest quality (and most expensive) being their "Pro-1" series (that's what I buy). I'm not familiar with B&W other than being told by others that they're a quality outfit.

I can't suggest what you should look for because I see no benefit to filtering out UV rays with digital cameras (there is an internal filter in front of the sensor that does it). Some use a UV filter to protect the lens but again I disagree because of the slight color shift. You're better off with a clear glass "protector" filter.

A skylight filter is a benefit when you're using color slide film, especially Kodachrome (which isn't even available anymore). It reduces the excessive bluishness that frequently occurs in outdoor color photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky.

I use only three types of filters. Polarizers to darken the sky or remove reflections, neutral density filters to enable a slow shutter speed with a large aperture and clear glass protectors when I'll have my camera in risky areas.

Thats what I am thinking of getting, a Hoya Pro-1 Series UV filter.

What about the polarized filters (I know its off topic)

The seller is a company called Fedtic Accessories - F18, F24, F46, or F91 etc are their product identifiers - nothing to do with Hoya.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back