hogla

I have held one and played with it, but never shot any film through one. I know a guy who bought one who was very happy with it. Obviously it's a cheaply made camera, but I think it's considered worth the money.

drlynn said:
Anybody have experience with Lomo Lubitel TLR cameras?
I have been wanting to try some medium format, and these cameras can be had for less than $50 on eBay, but are they as quirky as the other Lomo's and the Holgas you all have been discussing?

Don't have, but I know some other Lomo-camera's, and heard just good words of it! So maybe it's worth!

drlynn said:
Anybody have experience with Lomo Lubitel TLR cameras?
I have been wanting to try some medium format, and these cameras can be had for less than $50 on eBay, but are they as quirky as the other Lomo's and the Holgas you all have been discussing?

I've been cruising Lubitel sites. There are lots of them. I'm really impressed with the scans I'm seeing. It's a quality enough camera that toy camera "purists" seem to look down on it (or up?). I think that if you can get one for $50 or less it's a pretty good deal.

Although I think you should also look at other used TLRs. For $75+ you could probably find a Yashica or Minolta; those cameras would be more sturdily constructed (but the Lubi would be really light), and might have better lenses.

Are you going to use it for color or BW? Are you going to do your own darkroom work (if BW)? My experience eith older/cheaper lens designs on MF cameras is that the 3 element lenses (antistigmat, triotar, etc...) do not print any sharper, and may be much softer, than a print shot with a good modern 35mm lens. The four element lenses (tessar, xenar, etc...) produce prints that are usually sharper than those made with most 35mm lenses. And the five element lenses (planar, xenotar, etc...)are basically equivalent to modern MF equipment.

On the other hand, printing from a larger neg does incredibly wonderful things to tonality and really helps with contrast control, not to mention elimination of grain (if that's your thing), even with the three element designs. My Ansco Titan 6x6 folder (antistimat lens) is not as sharp as any of the lenses I use with my Pentax 35mm SLR, but it's still my carry around snap shot cam (HP5 400)because the 8x8s I print from it are delicious.

I just bought a Yashica D from ebay for $50 after shipping. It has the earlier Yashikor lens which isn't as good as the later Yashinon lenses but still a lot nicer than the lubitel lens.

I thought about getting one of these until I realized the price and quality of the yashica TLR's.

Thanks for all the info, guys. I will look into the Yashica before I make a purchase.
Ever heard of a Dacora Digna 6x6? Made in Germany, looks to be higher quality than a holga.

Most reactions

Back