Home inspiration

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm at home with my beautiful daughter - not able to go many places right now.

What inspirational shots can I take in and around my home / yard to keep me shooting and practicing?

I could take a million shots of my girl, which I will, but I would also like to shoot other things.

Perhaps I should do something on yard tools - might be interesting!

Any ideas, suggestions or themes? I'd love to hear them! :)

Think of the item in or aspect of your home that you dislike the most and challenge yourself to produce three different and interesting images of it.

Don't forget to shoot the stuff AROUND your daughter too! Some of the things you tend to forget are the little everyday things that are such a part of your life now and won't be in a year. The pacifier, the crib blanket, her comfort item, favorite onesy, her first hairbow, etc etc. Challenge yourself to make artistic shots of these items so that you can always remember those little pieces of life.

When I need a bit of inspiration or a look at something from "left field" I check out:
DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest
Online photography contest site.
Always interesting to see the wide range of categories and then the different interpretations of those subjects ... and you get to see some amazing images

Some of the things you tend to forget are the little everyday things that are such a part of your life now and won't be in a year. The pacifier, the crib blanket, her comfort item, favorite onesy, her first hairbow, etc etc. Challenge yourself to make artistic shots of these items so that you can always remember those little pieces of life.

I was thinking the same thing but also things that might be different in 30 years. When my grandparents passed away we were looking through some photos, and I saw one from around the time they moved into their house. The backyard patio area didn't exist as I'd always known it. We always spent our birthday parties and other holidays there. Just a concrete area, big enough the whole family, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. to sit around a couple picnic tables pushed together and surrounded by a beautiful garden with the most delicious strawberries. It was kind of neat to know they created that area that we all got to enjoy.
It wasn't and artistic photo or anything, but it's kind of neat for us in future generations to get glimpse of what things were like when our parents or grandparents were our age. I'm sure you're daughter will appreciate being able to see what things were like before she can remember, and it might be nice for you to have a record of the changes that happen gradually enough they're not really noticed.

I believe that elevating the mundane is one of the skills a photographer needs to work on honing. Bc_steve speaks of this in a good way. For her first year, maybe try photographing the real, daily-contact things in the house and car and neighborhood; if your hands or feet or butt touches it, shoot photos of it. Favorite chairs, carpets, tables, desks, walkways, sidewalks, all those things, as well as eating utensils, faucets, shower fixtures, pens, keyboards, phones, and so on--all of those things will likely show some changes over time.

Sounds like someone needs to learn the art of baby wearing. ;-) lol! Kidding (mostly)

You know me though. I'm a fan of water drops. They are always there when you need to photograph something. I'm seeing a baby bottle with a perfect little mushroom splash of milk. Hahaha.

Really though, good luck! I've never been very good at finding things around the house to photograph.

I'm seeing a baby bottle with a perfect little mushroom splash of milk. Hahaha.

Haha - the "nipple" pointing down at the top center of the frame, with a milky splash at the bottom. Would look pretty cool - but I don't wanna be taking 300 shots to get it right haha :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back