honest i had an open mind

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no idea why I feel a compulsion to rock the boat but I guess it is my nature. Alas this is the sad story of my son in laws gift certificate and my shock. While my wife looked for a clerk and CD's for our grand daughter, I wandered around. I started out looking for a new computer mine is on the last of its lives.

After I decided I couldn't justify a new one I went to look at cameras. Of course they are all digital. That was no shock. The shock was how darn small they are. Most of them look like something from a crackerjack box. Even the one I thought I would like from the reviews, was less than a full palm full.

If I pay half a grand for a camera I want it to at least fill a coke can. I know you aren't paying by the pound but for the technology but I'm sorry I just couldn't do it. I couldn't part with that kind of money for something that looks like a water toy from my childhood. Just an observation

I agree. Regardless of the quality of the product, I have big hands and I feel much more secure holding things with a bit more meat on them.

As much as I appreciate the ability to throw the camera in your pocket, I'd probably drop it down the stairs, into a puddle, etc..

mysteryscribe said:
--- honest i had an open mind---
Sure :lol:

one of mine co-works just got a 6mp Casio for $250, it’s smaller than a pack of smokes, IMO too small to hold

That's one of the reasons i shoot Nikon. They make camera's with some beef to them.

well, those cameras you refer to ... you pay alot for them acutally being that small!

and i know many people who pity me when i get out my slightly larger camera with a large lens ;)

I always take pictures for people, because they known I'm into photography, and they usually ask me to take pictures at parties, etc.

Well, when I pull out the 400D, they say,

"That's not digital is it?"

"Yes, it is."

"Wow! That looks like a real camera!"

"...that's because it is a real camera."

:lol:

CMan said:
I always take pictures for people, because they known I'm into photography, and they usually ask me to take pictures at parties, etc.

Well, when I pull out the 400D, they say,

"That's not digital is it?"

"Yes, it is."

"Wow! That looks like a real camera!"

"...that's because it is a real camera."

:lol:

And the 400 D is actually quite small compared to some of the battleships ;)

but those point and shoots these days are so small you might swallow them by accident when taking the picture ;)

I got even better reactions when I took a picture and they heard the mirror swing back ... people told me, wow, that sounds almost real! :lmao::lmao:

My wife's point and shoot is about the size of a short stack of credit cards. It would take up less room in a bag than a roll of 35mm film. She carries it in her purse. I sometimes envy her when I'm lugging a bag full of gear. I think it was $300 a couple of years ago.

I know that many people like those cameras for traveling, they fit well in your pockets. I don't have one that small but I wouldn't mind having one for traveling.

I had a sony cyber shot dsc-w5 before getting into DSLRS
I still like the ability to throw it in my pocket, but if Im setting out to really
shoot, Id rather have MY tools in hand.

But, sometimes when Im hiking I miss the little half pound thing... lolol

Some of the P&S cameras on the market these days are so small, it's nearly impossible to get a steady shot with them, even with IS. You'd have to pry my DSLR from my cold dead fingers before I tried to do anything serious with one of those short-stacks.

^^^Here here^^^

You're funny, Charlie! :D

But it is true... some of the newest compact digital cameras are smaller than cigarette cases (not that I'd be really familiar with the sizes of those, mind, but I get to see them here and there, cigarette cases, that is).

I'm not deadset against compact digital cameras, I quite like the Powershot which still slides into the pocket of my anorak easily enough to be on hand should a sudden photo op arise. But it is still larger than a "stack of credit cards" as someone said the newest cameras can be compared to. And it has some weight. I can take better no-flash low light photos with that one than I do with the 350D, mind. I can hold that one very still down to 1/8 sec.

But I like the feeling of the 350D, too.

And it is great fun (though all very different in planning, actually work, focusing, framing, everything) to use the Leica (which is light and small ... and which gets looks! Very much so. Its sound is soooooo different :D).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back