honest i had an open mind

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mysteryscribe, Dec 14, 2006.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have no idea why I feel a compulsion to rock the boat but I guess it is my nature. Alas this is the sad story of my son in laws gift certificate and my shock. While my wife looked for a clerk and CD's for our grand daughter, I wandered around. I started out looking for a new computer mine is on the last of its lives.

After I decided I couldn't justify a new one I went to look at cameras. Of course they are all digital. That was no shock. The shock was how darn small they are. Most of them look like something from a crackerjack box. Even the one I thought I would like from the reviews, was less than a full palm full.

If I pay half a grand for a camera I want it to at least fill a coke can. I know you aren't paying by the pound but for the technology but I'm sorry I just couldn't do it. I couldn't part with that kind of money for something that looks like a water toy from my childhood. Just an observation

2. TBaraki

TBaraki TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. Regardless of the quality of the product, I have big hands and I feel much more secure holding things with a bit more meat on them.

As much as I appreciate the ability to throw the camera in your pocket, I'd probably drop it down the stairs, into a puddle, etc..

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sure :lol:

one of mine co-works just got a 6mp Casio for $250, it’s smaller than a pack of smokes, IMO too small to hold

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's one of the reasons i shoot Nikon. They make camera's with some beef to them.

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, those cameras you refer to ... you pay alot for them acutally being that small!

and i know many people who pity me when i get out my slightly larger camera with a large lens ;)

6. CMan

CMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always take pictures for people, because they known I'm into photography, and they usually ask me to take pictures at parties, etc.

Well, when I pull out the 400D, they say,

"That's not digital is it?"

"Yes, it is."

"Wow! That looks like a real camera!"

"...that's because it is a real camera."

:lol:

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And the 400 D is actually quite small compared to some of the battleships ;)

but those point and shoots these days are so small you might swallow them by accident when taking the picture ;)

I got even better reactions when I took a picture and they heard the mirror swing back ... people told me, wow, that sounds almost real! :lmao::lmao:

8. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

My wife's point and shoot is about the size of a short stack of credit cards. It would take up less room in a bag than a roll of 35mm film. She carries it in her purse. I sometimes envy her when I'm lugging a bag full of gear. I think it was $300 a couple of years ago.

9. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know that many people like those cameras for traveling, they fit well in your pockets. I don't have one that small but I wouldn't mind having one for traveling.

10. myopia

myopia TPF Noob!

they are great.... until they BREAK in just a week from "dust".

11. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

I had a sony cyber shot dsc-w5 before getting into DSLRS
    I still like the ability to throw it in my pocket, but if Im setting out to really
    shoot, Id rather have MY tools in hand.

But, sometimes when Im hiking I miss the little half pound thing... lolol

12. Mad_Gnome

Mad_Gnome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some of the P&S cameras on the market these days are so small, it's nearly impossible to get a steady shot with them, even with IS. You'd have to pry my DSLR from my cold dead fingers before I tried to do anything serious with one of those short-stacks.