Hood? Filter?

There is no "perceived" problem with the UV filter but there is a real problem. Although barely noticeable, it does shift the color balance. Instead of the UV filter, you might consider a clear glass protector filter but don't forget to remove it when you put on the polarizer.

The UV filter does shift color balance...it knocks down excessive bluishness and haze (primarily UV reflections from dust in the atmosphere)...which is usually a good thing. It also tends to eliminate purple fringing (although it might cause additional flare). And in my experience, you can stack multiple filters on top of each other without vignetting depending on the lens diameter. At 82 mm I have no problems with multiple filters but with 52 I do.

Granted, UV usually doesn't have as much of an effect on digital sensors as it did on film.

Sorry newby question what is a ND filter

ND is short for neutral density - ie grey filters. They should have no effect on colour, hence the 'neutral' part. They are used for reducing the amount of light reaching the lens. This may enable you to use long shutter speeds and/or wide apertures for pictorial effect in bright light.

There are also graduated ND filters, often called 'grads'. These cut down the light over part of the scene, typically the sky. This may enable the exposure of the sky and the foreground to be equalized to some extent.

NDs come in a variety of strengths, and there are a number of ways of quantifying the strength: number of stops of reduction, filter factor (= exposure increase) and optical density being three common ways. For example, a three-stop ND filter could also be called an 8x ND filter (filter factor) or a 0.9 ND filter (optical density; one stop = 0.3 OD).

Best,
Helen

The UV filter does shift color balance...it knocks down excessive bluishness and haze (primarily UV reflections from dust in the atmosphere)...which is usually a good thing. It also tends to eliminate purple fringing (although it might cause additional flare). And in my experience, you can stack multiple filters on top of each other without vignetting depending on the lens diameter. At 82 mm I have no problems with multiple filters but with 52 I do.

Granted, UV usually doesn't have as much of an effect on digital sensors as it did on film.

I believe that the liklihood of vignetting is primarily due to the filter thickness, actually the thickness of the frame that supports the filter. That would explain why you're more likely to be able to stack high-end (thin) filters. Check out the specs for Hoya's Pro-1 line of filters.

ND is short for neutral density - ie grey filters. They should have no effect on colour, hence the 'neutral' part. They are used for reducing the amount of light reaching the lens. This may enable you to use long shutter speeds and/or wide apertures for pictorial effect in bright light.

There are also graduated ND filters, often called 'grads'. These cut down the light over part of the scene, typically the sky. This may enable the exposure of the sky and the foreground to be equalized to some extent.

NDs come in a variety of strengths, and there are a number of ways of quantifying the strength: number of stops of reduction, filter factor (= exposure increase) and optical density being three common ways. For example, a three-stop ND filter could also be called an 8x ND filter (filter factor) or a 0.9 ND filter (optical density; one stop = 0.3 OD).

Best,
Helen

Thanks Helen, you beat me to it. :)

Most reactions

Back