House fire!!!

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by wxnut, Apr 14, 2008.

1. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

First picture was taken as the fire trucks were pulling up. Its a 4 second exposure.

[​IMG]

Seeing that I would have trouble getting decent pictures, they put some bright lights on the scene so I wouldnt have to use such long exposures. :) (so nice of them to be a photographer friendly fire department)

2. I LOVE this picture. The lone fireman with no equipment looking at the HUGE house on fire. Its actually the assistant chief doing a size up as the trucks and equipment get set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fire department did a great job at stopping this fire.

Doug Raflik

2. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow very nice series. Looks like some of what I would see in the paper.

3. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

LOL... maybe you did...

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Doug Raflik

4. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice series. But your lack of compassion kind of bothers me. That's someone's home burning. I know there was nothing you could do at the scene, but I kind of take issue with the nonchalant nature of your comments here.

But they're still great shots though.

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How would you see a lack of compession in someone who photographs these photos? He has neither mentioned nor NOT mentioned his inner feelings, he's only just presenting us these photos. I don't understand the comment... This is the Photojournalism Gallery. Should all photographers of catastrophe or war scenes plunge themselves into the fray, inexpertly, just to show compassion?

Yes, I was going to ask for the story behind this, what caused the fire, how many involved, lower floors still inhabitable? and all that, but the fact that nothing of the kind has been mentioned upon first presenting these photos does not mean to me that Doug felt all and completely detached and uninvolved... and without compassion...

6. Dubious Drewski

Photos OK to edit
    Are you serious?

Hey, I'm not asking for him to shed a tear or anything. No moral crime was committed and I'm not THAT offended, don't worry. ;) I'm just saying he could have been a bit more tact about it.

7. digital_ems_techie

digital_ems_techie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually from the sounds of things, the fact that he knew the Chief was doing a size up and he credited the FD with a good stop he has photographed a fire or two, or could even be in public safety. But from reading the post there is nothing that indications a lack of anything.

8. digital_ems_techie

digital_ems_techie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your kidding right?

What he typed is called sarcasm.

Lighting up a fire scene is standard practice so they can see what they are doing. It's not like he asked them put to up lights for his benefit.

9. skier66

skier66 TPF Noob!

Nice captures.
    Sad for the owners.

10. wxnut

wxnut TPF Noob!

I dont want to add fuel to the fire (um.... omg that was aweful) but I think Dubious Drewski may be taking what I said wrong. As far as saying that I LOVE that picture. Has nothing to do with how bad I feel for the owners and the firemen that put thier lifes at risk. Why cant a good picture come out of a tragic event? When the page came over, the dispatcher said the caller was hysterical. My stomach tied into an instant knot and my heart just dropped as I could only imagine how aweful it must be to go through that. But that doesnt mean I cant go to the scene and take pictures. Which by the way are donated to the fire department for records and training.

So like in this case... This tornado damaged 2 houses. Does that mean I can not say this is a GOOD picture?

[​IMG]

And yes the comment about the lights was sarcasm. Thought that would be funny to a bunch of photographers.

I guess I just dont know how I should have presented my words. Its not like I was jumping for joy that this was happening so I could get a good shot. Its bad yes, but I happend to get some nice shots that I wanted to share.

Doug Raflik

11. Dubious Drewski

Photos OK to edit
    And again, I say they were great shots. Thank you for sharing them.

12. Rolland

Rolland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That tornado shot is wild......I can feel the power! Great shots on fire too....