How do you clean a lens?

There are lens tissues for that. You can find them at any camera store. There is also something called the LensPen; I use it works pretty good. Do a google search. Camera stores carry that too.

Oh one more thing always circular motions while rubbing the lens don't rub the glass back and forth.

I have three tools for cleaning lenses. First, a brush for brushing dust from the lens and the insides of the dust caps. Second, a microfiber towel that will grab a lot of dirt and finger smudges from the glass. I rub, as mentioned above, in circular motions. And third, lens cleaner solution if the dirt doesn't come up with the towel (which seldom happens).

I have three tools for cleaning lenses. First, a brush for brushing dust from the lens and the insides of the dust caps. Second, a microfiber towel that will grab a lot of dirt and finger smudges from the glass. I rub, as mentioned above, in circular motions. And third, lens cleaner solution if the dirt doesn't come up with the towel (which seldom happens).

DO you apply pressure with the microfiber cloth? ALso, how do you know if a cloth is microfiber?

I agree with christopher.

Not too much pressure with the microfiber.

Get them at your local camera store.

Iif you have to resort to lens cleaning solution (which does happen to me pretty often since I live near the ocean), use lens cleaning tissue, dampen the tissue - not the lens, rub carefully. Then repeat the brush/blower/microfiber routine.

Some people dislike the idea of using canned air. But I find it very helpful. There's always a pocket-sized can of it in my bag.

you should be able to find microfiber towels at your local auto parts store, kragen always has them, they are labeled " micro fiber towels" they are very very soft, and used for cars, when you don't want to scratch the finish, try costco too, they have bulk kits for SO cheap.

Anyone use alcohol? is there any finsih on the lens you have to worry about depreiciating?

Breath on them and wipe them either with a cotton cloth or if I'm in the field using a clean part of my shirt. No I am serious. Lenses are very scratch resistant.

I agree with christopher.

Not too much pressure with the microfiber.

Get them at your local camera store.

Iif you have to resort to lens cleaning solution (which does happen to me pretty often since I live near the ocean), use lens cleaning tissue, dampen the tissue - not the lens, rub carefully. Then repeat the brush/blower/microfiber routine.

Some people dislike the idea of using canned air. But I find it very helpful. There's always a pocket-sized can of it in my bag.

Canned air got a bad rap because some individuals were using it on the mirror. Remember "carbon tet?" Greatest cleaning fluid in the world for electrical items. Got banned because idiots were using it in closets.

You can buy microfiber cloth @ Walmart for like $2.00

Can also get "Zeiss wet lens tissue" @ Walmart - also $2.00. I wonder if this is the same one that B&H will only sell in-store.

Both are in their glasses department.

I also use a "lens pen" and Giotto rocket.

You can buy microfiber cloth @ Walmart for like $2.00

Can also get "Zeiss wet lens tissue" @ Walmart - also $2.00. I wonder if this is the same one that B&H will only sell in-store.

Both are in their glasses department.

I also use a "lens pen" and Giotto rocket.

I'd have to say 'not recommended' to the Zeiss tissue. I used that on my 180mm f/2.8 once and I got horrendous streaks and a terrible film. It took a long time just to get the film off my lens.

Take the lens, and put it in your washing machine. Set the machine on "small load" "delicates" wash and rinse on cold only.

It is best not to tumble dry your lenses in the dryer, that's kind of rough on them... better to take them out and hang them on the line...

Take the lens, and put it in your washing machine. Set the machine on "small load" "delicates" wash and rinse on cold only.

It is best not to tumble dry your lenses in the dryer, that's kind of rough on them... better to take them out and hang them on the line...

hahahahaha. yes. exactly how i do it.

revive!

What are the cons with using canned air?

If you tilt it at all, the liquid will spray out, and make things dirtier that they started out to be.

Plus, the flow of air could be too strong and break parts in your camera.

Most reactions

Back