How do you guys consider camera with unknown brand

sternkoef_m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My fd told me that he is interested in some cameras with unknown brand but much lower price from online store. I have no idea as I got my own Canon camera. Would u guys have a try or well-known brand only?(Canon,Nikon,Olympus,Fujifilm,Sony etc.)

PS: Both of us are beginner and the question is assumed from a beginner's stand

Last edited:
I'd only get known brands, as compatable accessories, lenses etc may not work, especially if the unknown brand is a copy as opposed to just an unpopular brand. Sometimes when you pay less, you end up paying more

Every camera has a brand. Because he doesn't recognize the brand doesn't mean much. The camera is probably not important for a beginner. What is important is learning photographic techniques. As long as the camera has the ability to change focus and exposure parameters, it should serve the purpose of a learning tool. Then if you decide to get serious, you will have a better position from which to judge these things.

That's a weird one, a camera system with no name ?
I wouldn't even pay for the shipping.
Investing in a camera system is an expensive journey, best to choose a good system and slowly build lens and accessory into it.

In a word: No! I would never consider an unknown brand.

Do you have a picture ?

I'd stay away from an unbranded camera as the quality, functionality, etc is all unknown.

Well years ago large retailers would have their own brand. They would be compatable with a major manufacturer. Back then and today even, if you order enough you can have your name put on lenses. And I suppose if you order enough, cameras even. So, it really deppends on what the name is on the camera. And useually you can trace it back to who actually makes it.

I have purchased several unbranded lenses in the past but these have all been of known mount 7 all have been cheap enough to take the gamble on.

I think all my many (30+) proper cameras have their brands on them somewhere - The box brownies only inside the camera IIRC.
Perhaps a few of the cheapest digital compact/web cam types have been unbranded or of brands that are hardly known (Premier or Technika) but none of these cost more than a good meal out, so hardly count as proper cameras.

I think it's far more likely the camera in question is just of an unrecognized brand. I suspect the brands of many of my film cameras might be unrecognized by those not into photography Agfa, Cosina, Ensign, Halina, Miranda, Practika, Toyo, Zenit... Several of these names will be well known to enthusiasts.
In some of these the name of the camera or the lens maker is more noticeable than the actual camera brand.

Well years ago large retailers would have their own brand. They would be compatable with a major manufacturer. Back then and today even, if you order enough you can have your name put on lenses. And I suppose if you order enough, cameras even. So, it really deppends on what the name is on the camera. And useually you can trace it back to who actually makes it.
Unfortunately, today we also have Alibaba ...

Most reactions

Back