rabhobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccabrittain.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
This is directed to the portrait (kids, maternity, family) and wedding photogs out there.

I'm curious how you offer framing of the prints that clients purchase?
Do you have an online source (everything chosen online) that is shipped directly to the client?
Do you do it yourself, using a local source?
How do you show clients samples of what finished products will look like?

I am kind of a control freak, so I like to see the total finished product before giving it to the client. Even if they want just a print, I would feel like they need to know what color mat and frame will look best, since they can make a huge difference in the impact of the print.

Just wondering how this part of the ordering is handled. (I'm doing animal/pet and people portraits, if that helps at all)

Thanks!
Rebecca

I haven't sold any framed prints...but someone I know does it fairly often. His system is that when a client orders a framed print he gives the print to his frame shop of choice and tells the client to go and pick out a frame & matte (or maybe has them pick the frame and matte before hand). Then he goes to pick up the finished product from the frame shop and delivers/sends it to the client.

This way, the client only has one price and they don't know your mark-up on the framing...but they get to choose a frame and matte that like or that will look good in the location they plan to display it.

I haven't sold any framed prints...but someone I know does it fairly often. His system is that when a client orders a framed print he gives the print to his frame shop of choice and tells the client to go and pick out a frame & matte (or maybe has them pick the frame and matte before hand). Then he goes to pick up the finished product from the frame shop and delivers/sends it to the client.

This way, the client only has one price and they don't know your mark-up on the framing...but they get to choose a frame and matte that like or that will look good in the location they plan to display it.

Well, that sounds like a great way to go, it satisfies all my needs.
I suppose he has a price list pre-set for his client, of what categories of frames/ mats the frame shop has available, which is worked out in advance w/ the shop?

Do you think having them go into the store to pick it up would pose a problem... Seeing as though people can be very observant when it comes to prices. They may go and look for the actual prices of the frames and be bothered by the photographer's mark-up? Just wondering.

I work with a local custom frame shop. We set up consults with the framer and client to pick the design and I recieve a percentage of the framer's sales.

I love the idea of doing something like smug mug when it comes to ordering print. Am I correct to say that you can upload prints onto the website and give your customers the opportunity to purchase their prints that way. Say smug mug charges $1.00 for a certain print and you mark it up to $1.50 to make a $.50 profit off of each of those prints.... When it's shown on the site. It just says $1.50 and the customer doesn't know that it's marked up correct? Now how do you get your money from Smug mug when prints are purchase. Do they put your portion into a paypal account?

Do you think having them go into the store to pick it up would pose a problem... Seeing as though people can be very observant when it comes to prices. They may go and look for the actual prices of the frames and be bothered by the photographer's mark-up? Just wondering.
Yes, it could be a problem...which is why the photography I'm talking about only has the client go in to choose the frame/matte....but he goes himself to pick up (and pay for) the product.

I took it to mean the customer would only be in the store to pick out the frame and mat, and would come to me to pick up the finished product when it was done...

I work with a local custom frame shop. We set up consults with the framer and client to pick the design and I recieve a percentage of the framer's sales.

So what price do you set for your customer? Do you just charge for the print, and the framer is giving you a bonus for sending customers their way?

I went to your website! Great Work! Do you do all of that yourself. Very nice.

I got away from this, but am thinking of starting back up.

I used to offer custom framing. I would cut mats myself and assemble frames. Also, I had a pretty good inventory of easel backs on hand... about 12 styles in 5x7 and 8x10.... that's around 200 frames.

When you consider an area to do this work and space to display and store this inventory (not to mention the cost), storage of a good selection of mat board, a cutter, dry-mount press, glass.... whew!

And, it all takes time.... especially for the sale. People would average an hour deciding on colors and moulding.

I don't think I ever did more than 2 or 3 grand a year on framing. But, like you mentioned, I really liked guiding my customers though the display process.

I had more help in those days. I afraid it all became too much for me... became a bottle-neck in my work flow.

Since I no longer have a darkroom, I'm thinking of using that space for cutting mats and frame assembly. It's SO much more manageable if the space and tools are ever-ready.

-Pete

About the SmugMug thing, yes, that's how it works. So for 8x10 prints, SmugMug charges like $1, I charge $15, so I get $14 off of each 8x10. Customer only sees the price, not your profit. You have to pay a yearly fee, but if you are doing enough business, it more than pays for itself.

About the SmugMug thing, yes, that's how it works. So for 8x10 prints, SmugMug charges like $1, I charge $15, so I get $14 off of each 8x10. Customer only sees the price, not your profit. You have to pay a yearly fee, but if you are doing enough business, it more than pays for itself.

I actually just started with them, with a Power account. Off the top of your head, is this markup setting possible with that type of account, or is it just for Pro accounts?

And thanks everyone for all your input into this!!

So how do they get you the money? Through a paypal account? Anyway, I think that's a great service that saves time. I'll be investing in that.

Most reactions

Back