How does she achieve this look

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine pointed her out to me and I have fallen in love with her images. How does she get this look? I can't out my finger in it.. kinda foggy dreamy.. mist.. ??? I don't know, all I know is I want to try it! But don't have a clue where to start.
Elena Shumilova

Last edited:
Wait, wut??
(link missing earlier- we're good now!)

Last edited:
Sorry.. added the link.
;)

1. She has a good eye for natural light
  2. She uses big reflective surfaces (natural or equipment) and/or big softboxes for soft fill light. Sometimes even cloudy skies.
  3. She darkens areas she doesn't want to give attention to in photoshop (that's more than just a vignette).
  4. There are several other post production techniques.
Sometimes Images are easier to "read" than others. If you see the eyes of people or animals, look for reflections in them that can tell you how the image was lit. Be aware though that some photographers retouch reflections in eyes.

She does give workshops, if you are interested.

Why don't you ask HER? Anyone else besides her would just be guessing.
Her email is listed on her profile.

Part of her look is shooting in late afternoon light, partially cloudy or overcast, and often in open shade. Another key part of the look is the 85L ;). Shooting wide in the afternoon will help accentuate the humidity or dust in the atomosphere, bring on more of the "haze"; although the haze can also be created in P.S.
Then there is the careful selection of colors, the color toning in post, the selective dodging and burning, etc.

Besides the fact that she has enormous talent and great skills, her pictures are complete; each has the elements of a story for the viewer to complete and they aren't just 'people facing camera'.

As I wrote she does give workshops, so I doubt she is willing to tell her secrets in a mail.
I'd say one can do more than just guess when taking a closer look at images.

She's definitely talented. I've seen questions about how she achieves her style on several photography sites. She must have mystical powers to get animals and children to do what she wants!

As I wrote she does give workshops, so I doubt she is willing to tell her secrets in a mail.

Not sure where op is but the photographer she's asking about is in Moscow area.

Not sure where op is but the photographer she's asking about is in Moscow area.

I googled her name to find out whether she has a website and saw that she offers workshops in many parts of the world ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back