How Does This Happen! It's so cool - frost

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by chantal7, Jan 13, 2008.

1. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sometimes when you wake up in the morning, you see this frost-snow like stuff on the trees and everything outside. You get to see every crisp detail of the snow on the branches, and it's really easy to fall off. But I find it fascinating. It has only came around 3 times this year, so far. I got a chance to take some pictures of it. What do you guys think? Have you ever seen anything like this happen where you live?

Oh, and I've resized the pictures, hope it doesn't affect them TOO much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nope, can't say I've seen that kind of ice formation around here. (The only place I've seen it is at the ski hills when they're making snow and the snow guns are aimed towards trees.) Makes for a good photo op. I really like the shot from afar, showing the wood fence with the snow covered ground and frost covered tree. And the shot right after it. What kind of tree is that, with the big thorns?

3. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's crazy ^^ When I was younger we used to kick the fences and watch all the snow fall off in some kind of wave, I was amused, and I still am! Haha!

Anyway, the tree you see with the thorns is a Rose bush.

I have a similar photo of the wood, tree and ground... hmmm... its from last year actually.

[​IMG]

It has a lot more color to it as well. I didn't post it since it was an old pic from a year ago. But here are some older pictures of the same type of frost:

[​IMG]

I like these ones a lot more, now that I look at them ... they have more color.

[​IMG]

4. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D'oh!! :blushing: It looked like it had looong thorns, like an inch or more, and they looked more straight than the curved thorns I'm used to seeing on rosebushes, so that confused me. My bad.

You got really good detail of the frost in that middle photo of the second set yu posted! You can even see the pattern on individual flakes/crystals...very cool!

BTW, when you post that many shots, it would help if you numbered them so people can more easily/specifically refer to them. :)

5. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh crap, I guess I forgot to do that, whoops, sorry :blushing: I doubt I could edit it now. lol. Oh well. Lesson learned!

Hehe that's okay if it looked like it had long thorns ^^ it's hard to tell when it's not your picture, right? :p It's a small rose bush, not very long thorned I guess. It's kind of funky though.

Thanks for your comment :thumbup:

Edit: Whoa, I guess I could edit it. Thought it wouldn't let me. lol. There, they're now numbered :D

6. m1a1fan

m1a1fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Ice Crystal formations can be caused by Ice Fog. We get it here in Chicago when it gets EXTREMELY cold.

7. boomersgot3

boomersgot3 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sure is a beautiful sight to see!

8. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hoarfrost... such a natural beauty. You captured it well :)

9. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank ya, folks! :) It was pretty cold when it happened, too. But it's worth it!

10. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beautiful and wondrous. I also know that as hoar frost. It's produced from molecules of water vapour (water as a gas) in the air freezing directly onto cold objects, hence the crystalline structure - the water vapour is deposited one molecule at a time.

Freezing fog usually, but not always, results in what I know as 'rime' - ie when the fog is made of water droplets (supercooled liquid water) that are below freezing point so when they hit a solid object they freeze almost instantaneously. This has less of a crystalline structure, if any, because it is made by tiny droplets of liquid water freezing very rapidly so they do not have time to align into big crystals.

Best,
    Helen

11. chantal7

chantal7 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha neat! That's interesting :thumbup: lol I guess I haven't learned anything about it. But I didn't bother to check online yet, wanted to see what you guys said :D.

Thanks for the information! :)

Haha don't you hate it when that happens? :wink: Thanks !

12. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    To cool, thanks for the explanation Helen. I'm one of those annoying people that always asks things like how? and why? so I loved getting to hear how that works and why.

Cool pictures, never seen it before. The only real frost I see is annoying me on my car windshield in the morning making me late to work when I don't realize it got that cold. lol