how Many sets of lens' do I need?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was brought to my attention that I can get an adapter for my sony that enables me to keep autofocus for my nex7 to nikkor glass. ( I thought I'd loose af!)

It got me to thinking this morning that perhaps it made more sense to sell off my two mediocre e mount lens and replace it for nikkor mount glass with an adapter. Then I would still have a backup camera body, but not 2 sets of proprietary glass.

I've got a 18-200 and a 50mm in the e-mount, and a 50mm for the Nikon. The more I use the 18-200 the more frustrated I get with its IQ. The 50 is okay except for some terrible CA, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to have two 50's right?

Am I missing anything in my thought process?

Last edited:
I certainly want to try the AF adapter before getting rid of the Nex glass. If it lives up to promice, and the e-mount lenses don't give you any advantages you may want occasionally (perhaps something like a different colour rendering that might suit some subjects)
Over the years I've collected quite a few 50's. Most are redundant but I'd want to keep at least 3 of them - only one has AF, one of the MF models gets to F1.4 half a stop faster than my AF model, and one has been modified for soft focus (by removing the rear group so technically it's not a 50 any more the focal lengths now near 100mm)

Am I missing anything in my thought process?

For me, it is usually a cost/benefit analysis. So I began the latest upgrade with a 35mm film camera and three lenses, but without any desire to continue with film, so I elected to move to a completely different system to make everything "match". That left me with a camera system that I no longer needed, but that was the choice I made.

Also; adapters work, but there is something about not needing them that appeals to me.

Last edited:
You would want an adapter that allows G-series Nikkor aperture control. I would not expect the AF to be super-fast when using adapted Nikon lenses on the NEX camera. I suppose that getting rid of two mediocre e-mount lenses makes some sense, as long as their replacements are not even more middling in some regard. I thought your NEX body was on its last legs. Not sure what the NEX is really bringing to the table for you. It's possible I think that using just one, single camera might be more efficient/better overall.

You would want an adapter that allows G-series Nikkor aperture control. I would not expect the AF to be super-fast when using adapted Nikon lenses on the NEX camera. I suppose that getting rid of two mediocre e-mount lenses makes some sense, as long as their replacements are not even more middling in some regard. I thought your NEX body was on its last legs. Not sure what the NEX is really bringing to the table for you. It's possible I think that using just one, single camera might be more efficient/better overall.
Yes, the body IS on its last leg. The lens seem fine though which is why I thought getting rid of them before they degrade any more would be wise.
Right now I use my nex for wide angle/pseudo macro and I'm hoping to phase it out ,mostly once I get glass for the Nikon. After that I will keep the nex for an emergency backup and for my waterdrop work because the 10fps works great in that situation. I'm not too worrried about af speed on the adapter since my af only works 3/4 of the time anyways with that body.

Is it going to be worth keeping the NEX at all? Maybe an option for a backup would be to get something used in Nikon if you sell/trade in the NEX. Just a thought, since you don't seem to like those lenses that much, although it seems they'd at least be usable in a pinch.

What I thought this thread was going to ask in general was - how many sets of lenses do you need?? lol Well, how many do any of us need vs. how many do we want!

Is it going to be worth keeping the NEX at all? Maybe an option for a backup would be to get something used in Nikon if you sell/trade in the NEX. Just a thought, since you don't seem to like those lenses that much, although it seems they'd at least be usable in a pinch.

What I thought this thread was going to ask in general was - how many sets of lenses do you need?? lol Well, how many do any of us need vs. how many do we want!
I guess I just figured the nex was in such poor shape, that it wouldn't even be worth selling, so "useable in a pinch" was really my thought process with keeping it.

As it stands, KEH is only offering $104 for the body, and $100 for the 50mm, the superzoom is really the only lens worth anything at around $500. I could sell the 50mm lens locally for a little more I think, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling the camera body to anyone other than a company capable fixing it/looking it over.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back