How often do you guys upgrade your camera?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Fate, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering, in the ever changing world of photographic equipment, cameras are constantly getting outdated. How often do you guys buy a new camera?

2. nitefly

nitefly TPF Noob!

Well when I get mine I want it to last me a long long time, as I don't want to be blowing £500 just so i can get a new one!

3. keller

keller TPF Noob!

I'm a hand-me-down. When my friends get bored of their camera (or computer parts, for that matter) I get it for free or a low price. A lot of people hate using other peoples leftovers, but I find it an oddly satisfying experience.

Speaking of which I've just installed a new video card I brought from a friend, less than half the price on ebay :D

4. slickhare

slickhare TPF Noob!

i plan to use my DSLR as long as it will perform it's functions. i'm completely satisfied with my Oly

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I started in photography in high school in '86, my dad gave me his Fujica AX3. I later I wanted something with autofocus, so got a Canon Elan around '97. Somewhere around 2000, I upgraded to an EOS-5 and later got an A2e for a backup body (they are basically the same thing). That's as much as I figured I need for my main film camera. There were higher level pro cameras, but not anything I felt compelled to get. I then got a 10D a few years ago when I went digital. I don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon, as it does everything I want. Down the road, I may get one that has a full-frame sensor.

Through all that, I played around with a bunch of other cameras. None of them I considered upgrades as they weren't my main use camera long-term, but they were all cool to take pictures with.

For film cameras, even though they kept coming out with newer models, it was often hard to justify "upgrading". The EOS-5 came out in '92, and if I hadn't gone digital, I'd still be using it for my main 35mm camera. I'd also be using cameras a lot older than that (I loved my Agfa Clack).

For digital cameras, the tech is moving so fast that the lastest and greatest is more noticably advanced. The trick is to decide what you want and stop there. It's really easy to be tempted to get the next one. When the 20D and then 5D came out, I purposely avoided reading anything about them. Lately I got curious so I did look up the specs. Luckily I don't feel compelled yet.

6. DLL_4ever

DLL_4ever TPF Noob!

i'd say i've updated way too many times over the last year... when i got my very first digital camera back in July (i think) in 2005, which was a Vivitar Vivicam something-something (lol), i returned it about 2 weeks later, because i thought it was the cameras fault that the pictures turned out "ugly". lol. This camera also had no optical zoom, so i traded it in for the Pentax Optio 50. 3 months later, i traded it in for a Panasonic DMC-LZ2, which had 3x more optical zoom (6x in total), but was still a stupid and pointless upgrade... its only within the last 3-or-so months now that i've begun to understand how its the photographer who makes the image, not the camera.. and its stupid upgrading from a $200 P&S to a $300 P&S, etc...
    Anyways, my last upgrade was about 2 weeks ago.. and that was from the Panasonic DMC-LZ2 to my Olympus E1 with 14-45mm lens. This was obviously the best upgrade i've ever done. I am planning on upgrading again in the future, perhaps to an E2 (or whatever comes out next), but that wont be for ATLEAST 1 year...

7. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I update when I have the cash. If I had a decent job then most likely I would be upgrading as often as I could.

8. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool :) just wondering, cus i was thinking about buying a new camera, and im just afraid that it will be completly outdated performance wise in a flash!

9. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I havent for ages, I like to know my camera in and out...

10. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I work primarily in B&W. My cameras [35mm & 6x6cm] and accessories are all at least 25 years old, some much older. As I use a hand-held exposure meter, none of my rigs contain batteries. My enlarger is of the same vintage. The films I use were all available at least 25 years ago, some 50 years ago [eg, Kodak Tri-X]. On reflection, I believe I lost the 'up-grade' urge 20 years ago. I've aquired a couple of Russky rangefinders recently, though these would hardly be called upgrades.

11. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I've always used SLRs, and they don't go out of date. Sure there are improvements in the digital market, but as long as it takes a picture which is equivilent to it's film brother, then there's no reason for it to date.

It's the same as games consoles. You don't wait - buy the one which has the games you want, play and enjoy - it still works! Ok, there are times, like releases, where you may want to hang back for a bit and see what the new model is like, but otherwise, don't worry - you'll be waiting forever otherwise!

Just my $0.02

Rob

12. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanksk guys :) much appreciated