How often do you use manual settings

... let me just make sure I re-empahsize that my question was directed to "beginnners".... I'm having a hard time believing that I'm the only one with less than a years experience in photography that doesn't use manual modes more than 90% of the time.

I'm seeing that many of you have professional acrediations, have been members of this site for years, and have your own photography websites... You aren't actually still "beginners" are you?

I'm a beginner still in many things - maybe advanced beginner in some ways - but still I've only just 2 years shooting (and before that nothing). A website/flickr takes an afternoon to make and throw together - same for many "pro" sites. A website doth not a pro make ;)

As for not using manual modes as I said its about using the mode that is going to get you the best shot that you want from the camera. If that is manual mode or full auto then who cares?

Suffice to say most of us are shooting in auto modes (aperture priority mode is about the most popular mode with most shooters shooting outside of a studio environment).

You might find the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson a worth while purchase and read, many here have read and used that book and it a great way to move from using full auto to having an understanding of what the different settings mean and do as well as using them creativly.

... let me just make sure I re-empahsize that my question was directed to "beginnners".... I'm having a hard time believing that I'm the only one with less than a years experience in photography that doesn't use manual modes more than 90% of the time.

I'm seeing that many of you have professional acrediations, have been members of this site for years, and have your own photography websites... You aren't actually still "beginners" are you?

I got mine first dslr three months ago. Shooting in full manual allows you to learn how aperture, shutter speed and iso come together. A lot of people say to start learning with aperture priority or shutter priority to get a feel for how things work. I disagree. If you are patient and not afraid to fail manual can teach you faster, at least in my experience.

well done! bump

Only when I can't get what I want in aperture priority mode (what I shoot in most often) or if I know I want a certain effect.

I see no point in using manual mode if all I'm doing is adjusting for 'correct' exposure anyway, A/S/P modes do that automatically and faster. I can also use exposure compensation if I want to tweak the exposure.

Oh - I find manual mode is also handy for using flash.

macro 100% M
portraits 50% M and 50% Av
landscapes 100% M
sports 100% Av
wildlife 100% Av

I usually don't use Tv due to when I want a fast shutter I use Av with highest F-stop and it usually gives fastest shutter speed.

For anything with ambient light, I'm in Aperture 99% of the time

For anything using flash, I'm in Manual 100% of the time.

I just got my d40 a week and a half ago. I find myself using shutter priority 75% of the time and just about the rest in program. I almost never use full manual.
Love my d40 though!!!

Right now I am 100% manual for my shots. I read Understanding Exposure, enjoyed it greatly and recommend it.

I am a beginner, have been shooting about a week.

Av most of the time. Just started trying to use manual more.

For anything with ambient light, I'm in Aperture 99% of the time

For anything using flash, I'm in Manual 100% of the time.

I do the same sir!

If you take a shot in Auto mode. And then use the same settings in manual mode. The result is the same.

Agreed. And that is the result you would get if you blindly follow what your meter is telling you unless, that is, if the metering works differently depending in what shooting mode you are in.

In reality, a lot of shots need some sort of adjustment and whether you learn to adjust your exposures from manual or from one of the Auto modes makes no difference so long as you DO adjust them. If you don't, then you are just using your camera as a fancy/expensive P&S.

I shoot M pretty much all the time, I am still learning so I like to see what settings I am using before I snap the picture. It makes you think about them more.

Agreed. And, I believe that is the reason most schools want you to start with an all manual camera.

In Auto, because today's cameras have amazing metering systems, you will get decent pictures but will you ever know why? And, of course, when you come to a situation that your camera just doesn't understand, you won't know how to fix it.

using one mode over another really does nothing, and it doesnt make you any more of a pro to use only manual, or any less of a pro using program based modes. as dao stated on the first page, it's all about using whatever mode will get you the shot. the aperture, shutter speed, and iso settings will yield the exact same result no matter what mode you're in.

it also doesnt make you any more of a "noob" to shoot in program based modes either. again, all that matters is the final product. if full auto gets that then so be it. if it requires Tv, Av, or full manual then...so be it. besides...i think the more you learn and understand, the BETTER you'll be able to utilize and determine if these program modes will gives you the shot you are after.

using manual for me only makes sense when i know the camera has no way of knowing what i'll be doing. when using off camera flash, for instance, the camera will always tell me that f/8 @ 1/200th at iso 100 is going to yield an underexposed (or completely black in most cases) image. this is when you want to be shooting manual. you know if your lens is its sharpest at f/8 (or whatever for the one you're using) you can set your camera to manual, dial in f/8 @ 1/200th (or its sync speed) at iso 100 then set your lights to yield a proper image.

the other modes for me are perfectly fine, and dialing in some exposure compensation will help tailor the exposure how i want.

as with most, aperture priority is my most used setting when using ambient light. the two zooms i use for indoor events are 2.8's, and the camera gives me fast enough shutter speeds to freeze the action so i havent been required to force things in shutter priority yet...and i've been in a couple really crummy lit areas. as 2.8 to 4.0 are my most apertures, i dont see this changing any time soon.

oh...and im far from a pro as well, in fact...i really suck, but that doesnt stop me from trying and learning. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back