How to Crop properly in LR for Prints?

vadim2200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When in Light Room I usually use Shift key to crop and when I go to print I get nice even not overstretched images. What if I make a square without using shift key, will the photo get distorted in anyway when I go to print or will it just fill cropped space with black? Thanks

You should crop your images according to the aspect ratio of the print you're making.

When in Light Room I usually use Shift key to crop and when I go to print I get nice even not overstretched images. What if I make a square without using shift key, will the photo get distorted in anyway when I go to print or will it just fill cropped space with black? Thanks

The shift key is the same as setting the lock closed on the crop tool.
upload_2016-9-19_16-20-14.png

It keep the existing aspect ratio (2:3,4x5, etc.)
If you crop freely to what you like, unless you add extra space to make up the aspect ratio of the paper, the online printer will either crop, stretch or distort. (The bigger sites will ask when you want.)

If you plan on framing the shot, you can print any aspect ratio shot and then get a custom mat.
This is the reason I try to shoot to either 2:3 or 4:5.

FWIW: It's one word - Lightroom

I do all my cropping in Photoshop CC because the crop tool there has more tool options than what's available in Lightroom/ACR.
I usually crop for content and when I do I have custom print sizes and custom frame parts (frame, mount, mat(s)) made for me.
I assemble the framing materials myself.

Most reactions

Back